LiquidFyre Games Forums
September 21, 2017, 03:04:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiring Professional Trainers  (Read 1301 times)
Bahrcad Immick
Wyrm Trainer

I am Bahrcad Immick, formerly eigonosensei.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2007, 11:00:20 pm »

First, I love the new look, the new features and the new items at the shop.  They got me thinking that something that might be nice to spend our gold on is to hire "Professional Dragon Trainers".  My idea would be that you could hire
1. hunting trainers
2. collecting trainers
3. and combat trainers.
Hiring a trainer would involve paying per "lesson" (turn).  The idea is something like this, for example.  You purchase one lesson from a Professional Combat Trainer, say at a rate of, oh, 250 gold.  Then you spend one of your regular turns on combat training, on which the Pro accompanies you and your dragon.  The effect would simply be a multiplier applied to Combat Skills gained, say 2.5 or so.  It would of course be nice if we could buy multiple lessons at one time.  So in essence, if you wanted to use all 20 turns for a day on combat training and you wanted a modifier applied to all of these turns, it would cost 5000 gold in private tutor fees.  Before I posted this idea, I did a search to see if anyone else had had the same idea and one person did post a very similar suggestion.  Here's the thread:
http://www.petdragonsfbapp.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.msg11419#msg11419
However, the response to the idea was that it might be viewed as purchasing extra turns.  I really don't get this.  Getting a modifier applied to the combat, collecting or hunting skills gained (without getting actual extra turns) is no different that getting a modifier applied to the amount of gold taken in a raid due to an item purchase.  So, for my 2 cents, I think this would be a nice addition. 

Yoi otoshio!

Check out my Stats, Achievements and Shout-Outs on my PDDB PROFILE.
To learn more about PDDB, go HERE.
Benjibob
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 06:40:08 am »

You can pay me if you want.  Guraranteed success baby
BlackenedRoseThorn
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 09:17:30 am »

Ditto Gog's sentiments... if you have gold, I would be more than happy to "train" you for a portion of your horde...
Caimbul
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 11:53:42 am »

First, I love the new look, the new features and the new items at the shop.  They got me thinking that something that might be nice to spend our gold on is to hire "Professional Dragon Trainers".  My idea would be that you could hire
1. hunting trainers
2. collecting trainers
3. and combat trainers.
Hiring a trainer would involve paying per "lesson" (turn).  The idea is something like this, for example.  You purchase one lesson from a Professional Combat Trainer, say at a rate of, oh, 250 gold.  Then you spend one of your regular turns on combat training, on which the Pro accompanies you and your dragon.  The effect would simply be a multiplier applied to Combat Skills gained, say 2.5 or so.  It would of course be nice if we could buy multiple lessons at one time.  So in essence, if you wanted to use all 20 turns for a day on combat training and you wanted a modifier applied to all of these turns, it would cost 5000 gold in private tutor fees.  Before I posted this idea, I did a search to see if anyone else had had the same idea and one person did post a very similar suggestion.  Here's the thread:
http://www.petdragonsfbapp.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.msg11419#msg11419
However, the response to the idea was that it might be viewed as purchasing extra turns.  I really don't get this.  Getting a modifier applied to the combat, collecting or hunting skills gained (without getting actual extra turns) is no different that getting a modifier applied to the amount of gold taken in a raid due to an item purchase.  So, for my 2 cents, I think this would be a nice addition. 

Yoi otoshio!

First, I'd like to point out that your analogy is flawed, as turns are not used to attack.

But that aside, I like the idea as well. To add a different spin to it, instead of 'paying for a trainer' you could look at it as a 'Potion of Draconic Training (Gold finding)' for example. Which fits with that is there right now.

There are a few problems with the idea though.

Pricing would be a problem. I for one wouldn't bat an eye at paying $5000/day for on average 125 fighting points. (2.5*50 on average) It is viewed as 'purchasing' extra turns, because it would take me 50 turns to get those points. Since I tend to get about $20k every 3 days or so from my attacks. While I am sure a starting out dragon would have a huge problem with that. I can imagine that gold hoarders would be thinking. (because some can make like $5000/turn)  This would help further separate the haves and havenots. It would become a given that if you want to be at the top, you buy potions to make it happen. (however, it would mean that the cavers would have to be outside for longer.... mmmm... cavers...)

The main problem overall would just be balancing it out to make it something that doesn't further seperate the older dragons (and the ones on the tops of the leaderboard) from the younger, and I don't think it can be done.
FierceDragoness
Draconic Legend

Dragons 4 LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 01:15:01 pm »

I third what benji and brt said  red teeth

R.I.P. Joshua "Maniac" Giddings~ I love you and miss you Kiss  red tongue
The PD Dictionary!
http://www.petdragonsfbapp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.new#new
masterfool
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 06:57:17 pm »

First, I'd like to point out that your analogy is flawed, as turns are not used to attack.

But that aside, I like the idea as well. To add a different spin to it, instead of 'paying for a trainer' you could look at it as a 'Potion of Draconic Training (Gold finding)' for example. Which fits with that is there right now.

There are a few problems with the idea though.

Pricing would be a problem. I for one wouldn't bat an eye at paying $5000/day for on average 125 fighting points. (2.5*50 on average) It is viewed as 'purchasing' extra turns, because it would take me 50 turns to get those points. Since I tend to get about $20k every 3 days or so from my attacks. While I am sure a starting out dragon would have a huge problem with that. I can imagine that gold hoarders would be thinking. (because some can make like $5000/turn)  This would help further separate the haves and havenots. It would become a given that if you want to be at the top, you buy potions to make it happen. (however, it would mean that the cavers would have to be outside for longer.... mmmm... cavers...)

The main problem overall would just be balancing it out to make it something that doesn't further seperate the older dragons (and the ones on the tops of the leaderboard) from the younger, and I don't think it can be done.

I'm with you here, Caimbul.  The "purchase a better trainer" idea is, in essence, a veiled way of "purchasing more turns" . . . . and as such, I am completely against it.

We don't need more devisions.  We don't need richer dragons getting more powerful.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.
gertk@ananzi.co.za
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:58:22 am »

We don't need richer dragons getting more powerful.

Now why do I like that?

However, I think the current batch of potions are already on their way to solving this issue. You can gain the benefits from the potion without it being a permanent issue. That should please both sides.
Ruaidhrí
Draconic Legend

The Red King

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 02:40:57 pm »

I'm very against the idea.  It is not purchasing extra turns, but it is like purchasing extra turns.  It has the same effect.

I think that buying training in any way will damage this application.  Suddenly, any strategy or way of playing this app that doesn't involve tons of gold spent on training becomes out-dated.  No one will be able to compete without money.  This will lead to a division within the fighter player ranks (I haven't thought about the weigh or gold b/c my dragon is a fighter), those that had the gold now have largely inflated fighting skill, and those that didn't have gold can now no longer compete with those that did.  You will also have the casual player that doesn't read all of these posts and post all over the forum wondering why they are all of a sudden losing.  Then they will realize that people can now buy training and will view this as unfair, whether it is or not.

Keep the training standardized.  I am continually surprised with the amount of people begging for this application to become more complicated.  Why?  One of the great aspects of this app is that it's simple.  This is not a game.  If you want complexity, go buy a game.  Now, I'm not against adding things to make the application better.  Having more items in the shop is great, but this idea would change the way the app is played.  I don't want that, even if it would benefit me.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: