LiquidFyre Games Forums
June 27, 2017, 01:09:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Specific Search  (Read 2263 times)
Ruaidhrí
Draconic Legend

The Red King

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2007, 09:52:46 pm »

I'd like to see a more sophisticated search.  It would be nice to be able to search for dragons that have only a certain amount of gold or only within a certain weight range.

Zedarius
Dragon Overseer
Developer
Draconic Legend

He's a dragon. He burns things.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:04:28 pm »

I'd like to see a more sophisticated search.  It would be nice to be able to search for dragons that have only a certain amount of gold or only within a certain weight range.

While I see how this would be helpful in finding juicy targets, it would be almost game-breakingly powerful. The dragons with lots of gold would get POUNDED. Hmm.. What do other people think?

Danny Olefsky
Codesigner and developer of Pet Dragons
Signature by Tordana
Kestrel
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:27:15 pm »

No.

I can see updating the search to include the ability to search by trainer, but not by gold.  If finding juicy targets is that important, users can take the time to search names they find on the leaderboards.  It doesn't take that long.  By editing the search to allow for that you will be encouraging people to ONLY attack the wealthiest dragons.  People that might not normally take the time to look rich dragons up will search them because the option is there.  Not only will those dragons get pounded but so will the server as people refresh-refresh-refresh trying to catch dragons uncaved.

~Kes

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter...
Xovran
Dragon Rider

Tasty morsels these humans are.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 11:02:40 pm »

I think the search option is perfect the way it is.

Dragons are the only mystical creatures to be seen in every culture throughout time.
http://www.judahmahay.com
chibi
Fledgling Caretaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 11:42:21 pm »

If finding juicy targets is that important, users can take the time to search names they find on the leaderboards.  It doesn't take that long.

What Kes said - the possibility is already there, and it would be pretty fast to go down the gold list and attempt an attack on each dragon from top down until the attack is possible (not caved and in your weight range). Or use the weight list and find out which dragon is the lightest that you can still attack.

I'm not sure if a more powerful search is needed, in fact I think the current elders circle already provides too much information (imho) ... :-)

As for searching by trainer, you can do a facebook search with a trainer name to find their dragon (you can get their dragon ID from the poke link, for example)... But I think I read somewhere this option may be in the works in the app as well to make it easier.

Chibi.
AprilnSilver
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 11:48:43 pm »

Well, I would like our search results to include dragons that aren't in our weight range. Just don't have the "Attack!" link on the results that aren't in your range. This would help exploration of dragons based on the value you put in the search box. That's what I think.
Kestrel
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 11:53:37 pm »

You can search any dragon from the search in Elders Circles.   green smile

~Kes

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter...
violet
Draconic Legend

Sean... more popular than you

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 12:48:09 am »

I would also like it if the search let you know if dragons you are looking for are out of your attack range or if they are in their cave. I would not mind if we could also search by trainer name, but I have not ever come across a situation where I needed to do so.

I would also like to see a search/sort function added to your friends list.  It would be awesome to search for a friends dragon to see how big it is and even more awesome if I could sort out my friend's dragons by size so I can ask the biggest dragon for help.  You can never go wrong with getting the strongest dragon you know to help you out :-D. 

If I am nobody and nobody is perfect does that mean that I am perfect?  Yes, it does.

Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 02:37:01 am »

No.

I can see updating the search to include the ability to search by trainer, but not by gold.  If finding juicy targets is that important, users can take the time to search names they find on the leaderboards.  It doesn't take that long.  By editing the search to allow for that you will be encouraging people to ONLY attack the wealthiest dragons.  People that might not normally take the time to look rich dragons up will search them because the option is there.  Not only will those dragons get pounded but so will the server as people refresh-refresh-refresh trying to catch dragons uncaved.

I completely agree with this, and I disagree as well.

I agree because enabling such a search would cause all the richest dragons to get mashed, smashed and dressed up in a little sailors outfit and forced to walk the docks.

I disagree because what you are saying means that those of us with extra time (like me) can search the leaderboards and get juicier targets than those with limited time. This would not be a problem except for the fact that the stated audience of this program are people who cannot logging more than a short time each day.

Sure it doesn't take all that long to search through the first 300 dragons or so, but when you have to go to 1000 dragon hunting it'll take a long time, but eventually you'll find the dragon of your dreams. I guess it depends on whether the devs think this is an acceptable advantage or not. Of course, there are other ways to solve it rather than simply allowing searches sensitive to wealth (such as removing the ability to view more than then first 100-200 dragons or so... though that would probably mean that they would get pounded like never before).

"Invader blood courses through my veins like radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me, do not ignore my veins!"

Btw I've turned off signatures so if I never comment on how awesome yours is - it is because I can't see it.
violet
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 03:11:37 am »

I agree because enabling such a search would cause all the richest dragons to get mashed, smashed and dressed up in a little sailors outfit and forced to walk the docks.

First of all LOL @ dragons in little sailor outfits. 

What if we do allow people to search by gold and have the search function randomly bring up one dragon within the gold category you select (and your size range) which the user can they choose to attack or they can go back and search for another target the traditional way.  I think if they limit the use of this function to twice in a 24 hour period then it could work.  That way people who want to just attack a rich target can do so quickly, but without the guarantee that it is the ideal target because it can come up with a much bigger older dragon potentially and those of us with extra time can pick out the dragon that's not too big, not to small, but just right. 

If I am nobody and nobody is perfect does that mean that I am perfect?  Yes, it does.

Narvuntien
Fledgling Caretaker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 06:15:29 am »

I thought about this idea whille endlessly clicking the random dragon button over and over again. but you are right it would make it very easy to find dragons with lots of gold and so have them attacked alot.

eh I didn't quote it but the post above...
so you are saying if you sreached for gold have knowleadge of thier wieght hidden or vice versa. whille having random dragon giving both information. hmm that would kind of be too much risk for me I have pietence.

slightly off topic what I want is a new random screach tab on the bottom aswell at the top. It is annoying having to scroll all the way to the top again after an unsuccessful screach.

Fearless, Determined Greedy

"tree stuck in cat firefighters baffeld"- simcity3000
BlackenedRoseThorn
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 09:32:39 am »

Well in all reality this is already possible... I have used this tactic myself.  You open up two browser windows, one on each side of your screen. On the left, you search the elders circle for the wealth level you desire, and watch for the possibility of a dragon in your range with a poor combat record. On the right, you search using the combat search... and when you find an opponent, you attack. Mind you I have only done this once, and it didnt payoff as well as what I wanted, but I also only attacked a dragon with numerous piles.
just1chancefree
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 11:30:26 am »

There are even now more efficient ways of finding targets. The search is just fine as is. Wink Keeps the top 100 constantly circulating, but it's pretty easy to sit in the top 200 or lower. The possibility of this will decrease as the ap grows, but let it be a challenge to those who can figure it out.
violet
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 12:24:32 pm »

I thought about this idea whille endlessly clicking the random dragon button over and over again. but you are right it would make it very easy to find dragons with lots of gold and so have them attacked alot.

eh I didn't quote it but the post above...
so you are saying if you sreached for gold have knowleadge of thier wieght hidden or vice versa. whille having random dragon giving both information. hmm that would kind of be too much risk for me I have pietence.

Yes in the specialized gold search should have the same information that shows in the elders circle appear which does not tell you how big they are in relation to you just what size category they area and leave the random list as it is now.

Well in all reality this is already possible... I have used this tactic myself.  You open up two browser windows, one on each side of your screen. On the left, you search the elders circle for the wealth level you desire, and watch for the possibility of a dragon in your range with a poor combat record. On the right, you search using the combat search... and when you find an opponent, you attack. Mind you I have only done this once, and it didnt payoff as well as what I wanted, but I also only attacked a dragon with numerous piles.

This is also how I pick my targets, but the elder's circle is always on the right.

FierceDragoness
Draconic Legend

Dragons 4 LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 12:29:36 pm »

Although being able to search for richer dragon in an easier/faster way and i would love it, it is already possible and is rather hard on the hoarders. So im rather torn because it would be cool but i think kinda mean too.

R.I.P. Joshua "Maniac" Giddings~ I love you and miss you Kiss  red tongue
The PD Dictionary!
http://www.petdragonsfbapp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.new#new
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: