LiquidFyre Games Forums
October 20, 2017, 03:29:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you know your Fairies?  (Read 5375 times)
Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2007, 05:00:22 pm »

Hi, on a completely different note I was wondering if there might not be some kindly soul out there who knows their mythological creatures.

I'm currently writing a story which in part takes place in the fairy realm and I could use some help with coming up with the kind of creatures that one might encounter there. I am mostly interested in Irish mythology (of which I unfortunately know very little), but any other is very welcome. Also if someone has heard any actually names for the fairy realm as such that would be very helpful, links to stories about it etc.
Preferably more traditional stuff than for example D&D... doesn't have to be completely focused on the fairy realm either (even if that is preferable) any really, really kick-keister creature that you think deserves to be in any kind of story don't hesitate to mention them. Small and humanoid sized creatures prefered though.

Right now all the creatures I'm planning on including are:
Pixies
Trolls
Gnolls
Elves
Sirens
Leperchaun
(possibly a dragon, haven't decided yet)

Thank you in advance  green teeth

"Invader blood courses through my veins like radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me, do not ignore my veins!"

Btw I've turned off signatures so if I never comment on how awesome yours is - it is because I can't see it.
masterfool
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:05:07 pm »

don't forget the Sidhe . . . (pronounced "she")

They are pretty much what you have for Irish Faries.  And they're not necessarily nice.

Also, banshies (originally Bansidhe), whose howl kills mortals.

Selkies, which are essentially WereSeals.

lots more.  Let me get out my celtic mythology books and see what I can dig up . . .

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.
Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 05:09:22 pm »

don't forget the Sidhe . . . (pronounced "she")

They are pretty much what you have for Irish Faries.  And they're not necessarily nice.

Also, banshies (originally Bansidhe), whose howl kills mortals.

Selkies, which are essentially WereSeals.

lots more.  Let me get out my celtic mythology books and see what I can dig up . . .

Wereseals? Wereseals? Omg... this is too good to be true. Wish I had know about that when I wrote my story about how Captain Sara battles the Seal Queen.

I'd appreciate it... especially if you can find a good name for the Realm itself, way too boring to call it the Fairy Realm all the time... needs a name even if I have to make it up myself.

"Invader blood courses through my veins like radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me, do not ignore my veins!"

Btw I've turned off signatures so if I never comment on how awesome yours is - it is because I can't see it.
masterfool
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:11:02 pm »

Well, that's simple.

In irish (or for that matter, celtic) mythology, the fairy realm is Tir na Nog.

masterfool
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:12:40 pm »

Also, note that selkies are not Lycanthropes in the true european sense (like werewolves).  They don't infect with a bite.  The have a "seal skin" that they can take off and put on. 

Look them up on Wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 05:16:42 pm »

Well, that's simple.

In irish (or for that matter, celtic) mythology, the fairy realm is Tir na Nog.

And what does that mean exactly? Do you know? Word for word? Would help a great deal...

EDIT: "Land of Eternal Youth or the Land of the Ever-Young" in wikipedia... wonder if that is the literal translation though...

Also, note that selkies are not Lycanthropes in the true european sense (like werewolves).  They don't infect with a bite.  The have a "seal skin" that they can take off and put on. 

Look them up on Wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

Awesome, and interesting to boot... please keep them coming. I feel inspired just reading about them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:18:48 pm by Shatiz » Logged

masterfool
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 05:21:43 pm »

Note that Wikipedia has a "List of Mythological Creatures" that have the origin next to the name.  You could use anything irish or celtic.  Scottish and Welsh would probably work for you too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures

Scellanis
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 05:23:51 pm »

You need them horse ones that live in water but come out in the guise of a beautiful horse to trap people, usually women and once they get on the horse's back it begins to run and then the person cannot stop the horse and it jumps back into the water taking the person with it to the bottom of the lake where person then becomes lunch. 

I can;t remember what they are called though.  Kelpie, thats the one, Harry Potter book says its a British and Irish water demon which works because one appeared in the Gaelic movie I saw earlier this year which was set up in Scotland somewhere and featured lots of weird faery/myths set in Scotland.

The Gaelic movie used the story that a girl loved horses and wanted to win a horse race and she found a white horse on the beach which promised her it would win the race for her if she came back at dawn the next morning and she did and it won the race but it didn't stop at the end, it kept on running and took her with it back into the ocean.  Stupid movie right up in ceineworld called the Kelpie a unicorn though. Kelpies don't have horns, silly people.

Nobody move! I've dropped my brain!
FierceDragoness
Draconic Legend

Dragons 4 LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 05:26:35 pm »

harpies, gremlins, dwarves, hmmm. theres also unicorns, giants, centaurs
http://www.usa2076.com/fairies/types.htm
http://www.geocities.com/skyeautumnstorm/fae.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_in_folklore_and_mythology_by_type

i figure its just easier if u had some sources where u could look up different types of fairies and other mythologiccal creatures

R.I.P. Joshua "Maniac" Giddings~ I love you and miss you Kiss  red tongue
The PD Dictionary!
http://www.petdragonsfbapp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.new#new
Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 05:29:36 pm »

Note that Wikipedia has a "List of Mythological Creatures" that have the origin next to the name.  You could use anything irish or celtic.  Scottish and Welsh would probably work for you too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures

True, somehow it is not the same thing though... it is hard for me to connect to what is written in wikipedia a lot of the time... when someone throws out a name it is much easier to for me research them though. Weird...

You need them horse ones that live in water but come out in the guise of a beautiful horse to trap people, usually women and once they get on the horse's back it begins to run and then the person cannot stop the horse and it jumps back into the water taking the person with it to the bottom of the lake where person then becomes lunch. 

I can;t remember what they are called though.  Kelpie, thats the one, Harry Potter book says its a British and Irish water demon which works because one appeared in the Gaelic movie I saw earlier this year which was set up in Scotland somewhere and featured lots of weird faery/myths set in Scotland.

The Gaelic movie used the story that a girl loved horses and wanted to win a horse race and she found a white horse on the beach which promised her it would win the race for her if she came back at dawn the next morning and she did and it won the race but it didn't stop at the end, it kept on running and took her with it back into the ocean.  Stupid movie right up in ceineworld called the Kelpie a unicorn though. Kelpies don't have horns, silly people.

Yeah, I actually knew about them, but I didn't know the English name. Thank you for reminding me Cheesy
Haven't really though of adding any horses... but until a moment ago I hadn't considered adding wereseals either  green wink

Scellanis
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 05:33:37 pm »

Hmm, I was just thinking, most of the stories I've read about faeries contain Brownies as well, I think they are little creatures that look to be made out of twigs and moss and stuff but you'd have to google it.

I do apologise for any extra letters in my posts, keyboard is driving me mental.

Nobody move! I've dropped my brain!
Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 05:35:24 pm »

harpies, gremlins, dwarves, hmmm. theres also unicorns, giants, centaurs
http://www.usa2076.com/fairies/types.htm
http://www.geocities.com/skyeautumnstorm/fae.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_in_folklore_and_mythology_by_type

i figure its just easier if u had some sources where u could look up different types of fairies and other mythologiccal creatures

Very helpful, thanks Smiley
Will have to go through them carefully tomorrow after a good nights sleep. I knew it was a good idea to ask for some help  green grin

Hmm, I was just thinking, most of the stories I've read about faeries contain Brownies as well, I think they are little creatures that look to be made out of twigs and moss and stuff but you'd have to google it.

I do apologise for any extra letters in my posts, keyboard is driving me mental.

Yes, I've read a little about Brownies as well... they are apparently the Irish version of "Hustomte" a swedish mythological creature that lives on farms and help the family living there in exchange for little gifts.

Benjibob
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 06:08:38 pm »

Even go further back and look up some Pictish mythology.  Beltine rights and the black horsemen -  have some books this mythos but left them in sweden.  Go to the SciFi shop in Gamla Stan, will let you know the name of the book when I remember it.

Dont forget Druids
masterfool
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 01:51:54 am »

Of course, druids.

Oh, and for the record, someone mentioned Centaurs:  They're greek in origin, not Celtic/Irish

FierceDragoness
Draconic Legend

Dragons 4 LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 10:49:42 am »

Of course, druids.

Oh, and for the record, someone mentioned Centaurs:  They're greek in origin, not Celtic/Irish

yea i know but its a mythological creature thats humanoid size so i thought y not, u can mix em up a lil  red smile

R.I.P. Joshua "Maniac" Giddings~ I love you and miss you Kiss  red tongue
The PD Dictionary!
http://www.petdragonsfbapp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.new#new
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: