LiquidFyre Games Forums
November 22, 2017, 06:02:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Poll
Question: Would it be cool to see your dragon build relationships and breed with other dragons?
Yes!
No...
I'll think about it.
I'm dead set against this idea and will explain why in my post.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding and Dragon Relationships?  (Read 23255 times)
RuneScayle
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:27:16 am »

I saw it mentioned in another post, but I think it's a good idea worth its own thread.

What do you think about the potential of breeding with other dragons, raising more than one dragon, and dragon-dragon relationships?  Is it implementable? 

Personally, I think it would be really cool to be able to raise more than one dragon.  If you like this game, I recommend reading the Pit Dragon trilogy by Jane Yolen.  They did it in those books, and I think it would be great if we could too.  It would be expensive, but it would be a great way to spend time between attacks and training.
Lisa and Saphira
Fledgling Caretaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:33:37 am »

oh im totally on board with having more than one dragon Smiley

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Sara
Draconic Legend

Dragon Tamer and Writer Extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:37:39 am »

I have ambivalent feelings about this idea, to be honest.  I sort of like the idea of building relationships with other dragons - it takes the roleplaying aspect of the game a bit farther.  However, I sort of dislike it because it leaves open the potential for the application to be used like a *shudder* dating website.  "my dragon needs a bf!!!" etc.

The same with allowing the dragon to have a clutch.  Assuming that the female dragon has two eggs, one for me and one for the mate's person, you then have two dragons to take care of.  This can be good - you have two dragons!  This can also be extremely complicated.  Do you get an extra set of turns specifically for the second dragon?  Do you pool all of the gold together?  Does each turn double for the two dragons - if you send one out to hunt, the other goes with?  Do you send both of your dragons out on an attack?  Does that affect your potential target weight range?  Do your dragons get along?  Is there a limit on how many dragons you can eventually own?  Do you get to select the gender of your new baby dragon?  How does this effect the 1 of each shop item per person limit?

The long and short of it is:  Is it really worth all the trouble of implementing?

seraphiko
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:26:16 pm »

I would totally love to have dragon relationships.  Maybe it could have an "egg" function.  Kind of like raising NPC dragons as a mini army that just boost combat scores.
dragonbrother
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:52:48 pm »

I'm good with this! It could open the door to a whole lot more!

Give Them Nothing, But Take From Them Everything!
Oyo Husa
Wyrmling Handler

1337 :]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:58:27 pm »

I'd have to agree with what Sara says about this...

I'm not going to beat the rooster anymore than what it needs to be, but I've been on plenty of "kid" related site where they allow you to have your character or pet or whatever start dating and then people take it too far. I'm not saying that everyone will, but it only takes oen bad apple to ruin the batch, right?

Other than that, I would like for it to happen if they can figure out a way to control that. Smiley

I like bananas because they have no bones. Cheesy
Kyle & Quetzalcoatl
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:17:47 pm »

Oh come on!  You don't want the dating aspect?  I can just see the personals ad now:

"Quiet, Introverted, Male Drake seeks Female Draconess to clutch with.
Must be willing to share the virgins and help with the gold cleaning.
Good combat record a plus!  60,000lbs or over, serious inquiries only."

*LOL*  In the Dragon Mates Weekly! ha ha ha

Quetzalcoatl means "Feathered Serpent".  In ancient Aztec beliefs he was associated with the wind and was the most powerful of the gods.  Once he regains his control of the wind, he will regain his supremecy! Until then, we are busy trying to survive in this dangerous world of meteors and strange ti
Sara
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 01:24:05 pm »

Oh come on!  You don't want the dating aspect?  I can just see the personals ad now:

"Quiet, Introverted, Male Drake seeks Female Draconess to clutch with.
Must be willing to share the virgins and help with the gold cleaning.
Good combat record a plus!  60,000lbs or over, serious inquiries only."

*LOL*  In the Dragon Mates Weekly! ha ha ha

Now see, that I would enjoy enormously.  It would be hilarious!

No, what I'm worried about is, well, I don't know if you've been on any of the forums/sites that devolve into that, but there are a few undesireable results that could occur.  One, you have people constantly running around wanting a 'bf' or 'gf' for their dragon, being generally annoying and so on.  Then, you have the potential abuse of the 'mating' aspect, and people may start 'taking it too far', as Oyo said.

Now if we had a strictly regulated Personals section or thread or something of the forums for finding potential mates where people could post things like you just posted, but from which posts like 'my dragon needs a bf plzzz' or any inapprorpiate content could be pruned.

Tesserex
Dragon World Creator
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »

I have actually thought out a full mating system and how it would work, but yes, the first problem is it would take a while to implement, at least a straight week of coding and another of testing, and secondly, I would have no idea what to do about having multiple dragons. That would be a major game change.

Craig Schwartz - Pet Dragons developer / coder
Kyle & Quetzalcoatl
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 02:57:15 pm »

I have actually thought out a full mating system and how it would work,

REALLY???  This is the first I've heard about it seriously being considered!  Wow.  Good news for those of us that think it would be a good addition to the game!  I don't suppose you'd like to give us a short rundown on what you're thinking?  It would help us to focus our discussion a bit better (with the added benefit of satisfying SOME of my incessant nosy-ness)!

No, what I'm worried about is, well, I don't know if you've been on any of the forums/sites that devolve into that, but there are a few undesireable results that could occur.  One, you have people constantly running around wanting a 'bf' or 'gf' for their dragon, being generally annoying and so on.  Then, you have the potential abuse of the 'mating' aspect, and people may start 'taking it too far', as Oyo said.

Apparently I don't get out enough (or maybe I get out too much...I dunno) but I have never been to any kind of site that had that type of activity.  So I'm not sure that I can even imagine it being annoying.  *shrug*  I'm sorry.  Its that bad eh?

And just what does "Taking it too far" mean?

Quetzalcoatl means "Feathered Serpent".  In ancient Aztec beliefs he was associated with the wind and was the most powerful of the gods.  Once he regains his control of the wind, he will regain his supremecy! Until then, we are busy trying to survive in this dangerous world of meteors and strange ti
Sara
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 03:04:07 pm »

Apparently I don't get out enough (or maybe I get out too much...I dunno) but I have never been to any kind of site that had that type of activity.  So I'm not sure that I can even imagine it being annoying.  *shrug*  I'm sorry.  Its that bad eh?

And just what does "Taking it too far" mean?

Cybering, to put it succinctly.

Kyle & Quetzalcoatl
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 03:10:05 pm »

Ah.  The mythical cyber-sex.  You know...When I was a teenager I tried that.  Got bored real fast and started reading GettingFuzzy comics!  *LOL*  *shaking head* 

Lord Zabimaru
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 03:38:53 pm »

heh, I actually came here to suggest something like this.  I thought we could also turn it into something else to do with our money by  buying/selling eggs. 

Your egg should get something from it's parents though, like maybe 10% of their stats.   Of course maybe
'm just saying that because mine would be prime fighters and earn big bucks.  Hey! maybe weight could have something to do with the quality of the egg, because that stat is pretty worthless currently.

Another idea would be for the parents to have to fight over the egg if they can't agree on who gets it.

Sara
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 03:40:51 pm »

heh, I actually came here to suggest something like this.  I thought we could also turn it into something else to do with our money by  buying/selling eggs. 

Your egg should get something from it's parents though, like maybe 10% of their stats.   Of course maybe
'm just saying that because mine would be prime fighters and earn big bucks.  Hey! maybe weight could have something to do with the quality of the egg, because that stat is pretty worthless currently.

Another idea would be for the parents to have to fight over the egg if they can't agree on who gets it.

What?  Weight is worthless?  You do know that weight plays a significant part of your combat ability, right?  And not just by allowing you to have a higher combat skill. Tongue

VIrgoValKyrIe
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 05:02:55 pm »

I kind of like the idea of being able to breed our dragons with eachother. Instead of making it like a "dating" website, maybe something like dog breeding. You would click a button that says your dragon is available for breeding, and then other people that want to breed their dragons could. There would be an age limit in days, weight, and all of the other levels (preventing "baby" dragons from having eggs). Then each dragon would have to be separate because having everything pooled together would be unfair. However, you could ask your other dragon to help you in battle instead of your friends (for those who don't have friends). It would be like you were raising two separate dragons. This would also mean that if you don't want to raise a dragon, you don't have to. Maybe even have a certain number of turns to hatch your egg, and a chance to loot caves to steal eggs (not being able to keep the egg if you get it, just to prevent someone else having another dragon!). Up to, say, three dragons each. The stats should have some affect on the eggs.

The idea would take a lot of work, but may be worth the effort and the wait...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: