LiquidFyre Games Forums
November 22, 2017, 06:02:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing cash flow  (Read 3309 times)
Lady G.
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:21:49 pm »

I know the cash flow is something that we talked about before.  Having to use FB credits was not encouraging players to purchase teeth as FB takes a cut.

I play another game "Bubble Witch Saga"  a King game, and they now have a system that if you wish to buy extra bubbles mid game you pay with cash.  I have used this several times and it is debited straight to my Pay Pal account.  As far as I know FB does not see any of the cash. There is still a facility for FB credits with some actions, so there is two methods within the game.

IF this is a possibility then PD could implement something similar.  eg FB credits for teeth putchases  but cash for other items eg 1 stick of dynamite to help dig.
Tesserex
Dragon World Creator
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »

I don't really understand systems like this, because if the game is being played inside facebook, then the app is breaking facebook's developer terms of service. Their rules say you must use credits (and soon their new replacement system) for all your in game currency transactions.

Craig Schwartz - Pet Dragons developer / coder
Smauglet and Trinity
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:38:20 am »

All the games I've seen where this is possible either have an associated Android or iPhone app (like the King games) or a facility for playing on their server outside of Facebook with an independent login (like the Zynga games and Castle Age).

Tesserex
Dragon World Creator
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:15:53 am »

That could work. We could do that since we plan to have social features (friends, messages) anyway. Do they require you to create a new login, with a username and password?

Lady G.
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:28:48 am »

I just play within FB, no added log in or passwords required.  When I want to purchase it has the $ amount there and just confirms my pay pal account and debits it.  I checked again tonight and there is now no facility to use FB credits within Bubble Witch Saga.  You are only offered a cash transaction.
vargragg
Developer's Assistant
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:06 am »

I don't think that Bubble Witch Saga has a separate server - if I disconnect the FB login it'll warn me that any progress I've made will be reset, that I'll start from the beginning and lose items that I've bough; so I think it's just a local phone app. Obviously since they belong to my FB account on BWS if I reconnect it later it'll still be there. So anything I play on my phone while connected is also progressed when playing via FB on the comp, yet their daily game is still separate on the two, so I can actually play on both the comp and the phone and get the daily bonus from each (they also have different reset times during the day).

The offer of paying with cash exist even within the FB app though. Extra bubbles during a game, for example, shows that you have to pay with FB credits. On the screen when selecting bonuses before a game (level), I can buy a 3 use scroll for $2.99 - which is cash drawn from credit card, paypal, or your phone (bill). Same thing buying extra lives, $0.99 to max out. If you screw up a game, before exiting the game they always pull up an offer to undo the mistake and keep playing.. for again, $0.99 cash. It seems the only thing that FB credits is used for nowadays (that I see anyway) is extra bubbles within a game (at least on the FB app, perhaps it's cash on the phone for bubbles, I haven't checked).

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
Smauglet and Trinity
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »

Doesn't the cash option actually buy exactly the right amount of FB credits and convert them into in-game stuff though? With the "pay with FB credits" option for when you already have some unused FB credits lying around?

@Tesserex - Castle Age get you to register an email address and password via the Facebook version of the game and send you an email with a link to activate.  You can then use that login to access a non Facebook version of the game.  I'm told that if you buy in-game stuff on the non Facebook version it goes via SuperRewards and not via FB credits (although I haven't tried this myself yet).  With Zynga, I believe you log in initially with your FB credentials and then make an account on their server with a username, password and avatar.  Both systems resemble PD2 in that they allow adding friends without having to add them on FB, and both allow interaction with Facebook players even while off FB.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:39:19 pm by Smauglet and Trinity » Logged

Lady G.
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:03:12 am »

I have very few FB credits, and yet I purchase extra bubbles.  Debited straight to my pay pal and does not alter my FB credits at all.  Not sure how it is done, but thought it may be worthwhile investigating to increase the cash flow.
Dark Lord
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:42:57 am »

I have very few FB credits, and yet I purchase extra bubbles.  Debited straight to my pay pal and does not alter my FB credits at all.  Not sure how it is done, but thought it may be worthwhile investigating to increase the cash flow.

I think it's all done through FB still, the consumer just doesn't see it.  regardless of the method, FB will still whip its 30% before it goes to the vendor or merchant.

DragonLady
Dragon Rider

*grins mischievously*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:47:24 pm »

One system for making money (that may or may not work here, but it's come to mind) is something similar to what Dungeons & Dragons Online (henceforth DDO) does.

They have a number of premium features which players can subscribe to for a monthly fee (comes out to around $10 a month if you pay for a year, iirc, a bit more than that if you pay by the quarter or by the month) or free to play (f2p) players can purchase them on an individual basis.  Having some features that only the monthly subscribers can access while most can be purchased for a one-time fee (and it's possible, although not easy, to earn enough points to purchase all of those things in-game, although the vast majority of serious players end up either getting a subscription or purchasing all the optional packs, ultimately).

Premium features in the PDs might look like:
1)longer periods before turn expiration
2)permanent (while subscription lasts) access to extra dragons (say, 3/account)
3)permanent (while subscription lasts) access to extra dragon breeds (you'd still want some that are only unlockable by playing, I think, but that might be just me)
4)permanent (while subscription lasts) access to 'premium' versions of party or tournament charters
5)discounted prices on teeth items
6)a certain number of teeth free every month (this might be half the value of the monthly fee, or if they also get a discount on teeth items, less, say, 25%)
7)access to quests (if they're implemented)
8)ability to attack (and/or be attacked by, if uncaved or stealth is low) NPC dragons
9)marginally higher cave visibility on the raid screen, if stealth is 0 or less (say, and extra 10%) - possibly toggle-able

Some these a f2p player could purchase individually (extra dragons, premium breeds, tourney charters or party concierges, access to quests), while others would remain subscription-only features.
Number 1) wouldn't help active players much, but it would give premium players longer to use their turns before they expired, also possibly giving them more turns to use at once.  I'm thinking something along the lines of:
if 'normally' a player gets 1 turn every hour, and unused turns expire after 24 hours, with 24 turns being the maximum that can be available at any given time, let premium players retain unused turns for 48 hours (or even 36), with 36 being the maximum available at any given time.  If both a premium and a f2p player check on their dragons and use turns every day, there is no difference for them, but the premium player has more flexibility if they happen to go away for a weekend or some such.

In DDO once an access is bought it is permanently bought (character slots and the like), and if someone buys something then becomes a subscriber, if they stop their subscription they go back to having access to everything they'd bought before their subscription (so, access to quests, premium breeds, whatever), and if they bought extra character slots, while they had the subscription they would get the number of slots they'd bought + the extra subscription slots for as long as they stay subscribed.

So using the numbers and examples from the list above:
Let's say someone bought access to one premium dragon breed, and an extra dragon slot.  As a f2p player, they would now have access to all the 'basic' breeds, that one premium breed, and 2 dragons.
Now assume they get a subscription.  They have access to all premium dragon breeds (no bonus for having previously bought the one breed), and 4 dragon slots (3 for being subscribers, + the one they paid for).  Let's say they start a dragon in each of their 4 slots, one of them being a premium breed they did not have access to before their subscription.
Their subscription lapses.  Once again they have access to 2 dragons and only the one premium breed.  Either the last two dragons to use turn (from their available 3) remain active, or they chose, once they log in and after their subscription lapses, which two they want to stay active.  If at a future time they purchase more breeds and/or slots they can regain access to their frozen 'extra' dragons. In this case they would need to buy a slot to gain access to their third dragon, and a slot AND the breed to get the fourth - if they wanted the fourth dragon to be part of their 2 active, they would need the option to buy the breed before they chose their two active dragons.  Once you drop a subscription and chose which dragons to 'freeze', that choice cannot be changed except by purchasing extra slots or subscribing again.

Random thoughts.

PS  Add-free would also be a subscription feature that could be purchased by f2p players.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:17:30 pm by DragonLady » Logged
Tesserex
Dragon World Creator
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 08:41:49 pm »
+1

Now that we have more development time, we're thinking of putting these kinds of things into PD1.5. Just today we talked about a "premium" package quite similar to what DL just said. For like $5 / month, you could get unlimited dragons, no ads, and possibly a credit for $5 of other teeth items. It would be much easier to just say unlimited dragons for X / month rather than buying individual slots. It's much easier to code, and seems like a better incentive to spend the full amount. Plus you get other goodies too.

DragonLady
Dragon Rider

*grins mischievously*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:50:14 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, Tesserex!  It's good to know what you're considering and what you're finding of interest.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: