LiquidFyre Games Forums
June 29, 2017, 06:37:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'reserve' a name  (Read 2646 times)
DragonLady
Dragon Rider

*grins mischievously*

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »
+1

Some people like to change names for certain events (celebrations, mourning, DNAs or COAs for attacks, or other things), and I think that some, especially those with very simple names, might be more encouraged to do so if they were able to reserve their name for a given period of time while they changed it.  This could be a permanent option (every dragon has the ability to lock in 1 name), or something buyable with teeth.

My gut inclination is that the number of names reserve-able per dragon should be limited to 1, regardless of how it's done.  It could be a permanent option, or it could have to be renewed every month if the dragon isn't using that name. 
Galaxy
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:18:50 am »

I don't like this idea because it would mean that in a very short period of time from PD2.5 starting, all the best names would be being used or kept in reserve.  From what I gather in PD2, many newer dragons are already having enough trouble getting the names that they want because they have been used, even though a lot of those dragons are no longer playing.
Fangle
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 01:27:22 am »
+4

If we're just talking about preventing somebody from stealing your name if you add a DNA or somesuch, then it could be a temporary thing rather than permanent.
For example, whenever you change your name, your old name automatically remains unavailable to other people for a short time afterwards (24 hours? 3 days? a week?). Within that period, you'll be able to switch back to your previous name with no problem. After that period finishes, your old name becomes available again for anyone else, but if nobody else uses it then you're still free to take it back again.
So that would hopefully reduce the chances or people having their names stolen, without permanently taking even more names out of circulation.

As for names being unavailable because of inactive dragons, there could be an automatic process of making names available again if a dragon has been inactive for a long time (3 months? 6 months?)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:30:02 am by Fangle » Logged
DragonLady
Dragon Rider

*grins mischievously*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:40:09 am »
+1

I would say give it at least 6 months before an inactive dragon's name reverts.  I was trying to figure out what names might revert to (since we wouldn't want duplication of names, the retired dragons would have to be either auto-deleted or renamed), and I came up with 3 options some randomly assigned somewhat insulting name similar to the kinds that are assigned if you don't pick a name on time in the free versions of 'you don't know jack', the most memorable of which to me was 'fluffybunnyfarts' (which would require some creativity from the devs on an ongoing basis to keep up), a number (counting up from first retired dragon onwards - if a dragon reactivates and changes their name, the number might go back into the name queue, but that would be more complicated coding), or a random combination of two nouns and/or verbs and/or adjectives (in which case the devs would just need to load a dictionary, have the RNG chose two words at random, and make sure it's unique - just make sure the dictionary in question is rated G.

The second one, a number, is by far the least work to code.
Galaxy
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:57:42 am »
+2

I think I misunderstood your first post and having re-read it, I think it is a good idea, especially as I did lose my dragon's name whilst wearing a tourny tag.  I also agree that names of abandoned/reset dragons should become available after a respectable length of time.
vargragg
Developer's Assistant
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:48:39 am »
+2

The far easier option for names of inactive dragons in such a case would be for the name to revert back to 'Hatchling'. In the current system, at least, that automatically forces you to pick a new name when you come back into the game. Not sure whether I like this idea or not - sometimes it's nice to be able to look back at 'old greats' even though they might not be playing anymore, and without the name it could be difficult finding them.
A suggestion for that, though, could be to add something to the name - "Les deDragon" becomes "Les drDragon [inactive]" with the same automatic redirect to pick a new name when returning; however then there'd be a need to make it impossible for other users to use '[inactive]' as part of their names. As there can be many hatchlings, there would then also be the same possibility of multiple "Les deDragon [inactive]" should someone pick up the name as it becomes available, then also become inactive.

I like the idea of a temporary reserve of your name, though I'm unsure of the feasibility of it. Perhaps a teeth option, where you can pick (pay) for how long you want it reserved, anywhere from 24 hours up to 7 days.

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
DragonLady
Dragon Rider

*grins mischievously*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:24:18 pm »

Vargragg:  I had thought of 'hatchling', but figured when massive and larger dragons went inactive that would be a tad absurd (unless you wanted to use weight-class specific names similar to PD1s default titles).  I do like your idea of an [inactive] flag/namechange instead.

Galaxy:  I'm glad to hear you changed your mind on the idea, from the voting I was starting to figure it was an altogether bad idea.

black wink
SaintG
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:15:02 am »

I think this would be much better served with a title-field that could be changed for teeth and much more visible. It would be a nice little incentive to pay the devs without directly affecting the game play.

Today the title is too well hidden. Move it to the front or back (player's choice) of the name and display it as prominently as the name itself. Restrict the name to be pure white and let the title be colour-coded. And if necessary shorten the name-field a few characters to make room for the title.

It would make it a bit harder to change your name (that is title) all the time, though.

Personally I like very much games where the only way to change your name is to start all over again (or pay real money). It makes it so much easier to see (and remember) who you're playing with.
AlakMorreno
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 11:57:04 am »

Hey all,

Some havent reserved there name on TB, wich i really recommend.
If you have reserved your name you can lock negative scores.
So to make it a bit more clear when to lock a match i made a small guid:

First you need to reserve your name:
Spoiler :
Galaxy
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »

This Forum is for Pet Dragons only, not any other games.  We don't need to reserve our names in PD, once we have chosen them, no one else can choose the same name.  If you change your name, you run the risk of another dragon taking your original name.  But names cannot be "reserved".   I hope that clarifies things.   gold teeth
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:05:48 pm by Galaxy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: