LiquidFyre Games Forums
December 17, 2017, 10:59:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A weighted dragon rating!  (Read 806 times)
Nadav
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:48:28 am »

What is a good dragon?  Huh?

Not a squeaky rat-size thing, sitting on top of a huge pile of gold...
Not a mountain of dragon-fat, in an empty, goldless cave...
Not a scarred armor of scales, with no size or wealth...

So, what is a good dragon?

My suggestion is to add another rating, calculated from the weighted averages of gold, weight and winning ration.

This can be based on the actual numbers, or simply the average ranking of all three. In this case, the lowest average ranking is the Best Dragon of Facebook!

It's also quite easy to add to this amazing application.

Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:56:19 am »

I think a balanced dragon leaderboard has been suggested a few times... don't think a lot has happened though. Either it is not as simple as you make it sound, its low priority or the devs have decided against it...

"Invader blood courses through my veins like radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me, do not ignore my veins!"

Btw I've turned off signatures so if I never comment on how awesome yours is - it is because I can't see it.
BlackenedRoseThorn
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:17:04 am »

I think a balanced dragon leaderboard has been suggested a few times... don't think a lot has happened though. Either it is not as simple as you make it sound, its low priority or the devs have decided against it...

Actually, I remember reading one of the developers saying that this is something they plan on doing. I think the main concern for them at the moment is revenue, which I do not blame them for.
Ravenex
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:12:21 pm »

The balanced leader board is definitely something we plan to do, the problem is that it's extremely processor intensive.  Basically the current rankings are counted from a single database field as they're requested.  To do a balanced field, there are two options.  First would be another field that could be counted, calculated with some weighting scale from you weight gold and combat history.  The problem if finding a fair weighting scale.  The other is to calculate the average of the other three rankings and then rank that, which automatically scales, but this can not possibly be done on the fly, because peoples ranks are not a stored value that can be manipulated mathematically.  Further making rankings a stored value could never be done on the fly because of the resources required.  Eventually we will implement it so they can be calculated daily, or hourly, or something, but this requires quite a bit more work that we haven't gotten to.

Happy Pillaging,
     Brian Schwartz
     Pet Dragons Inside Man
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: