LiquidFyre Games Forums
September 23, 2017, 06:34:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why play this game?  (Read 11011 times)
Juarlaxle
Fledgling Caretaker

Gloomwing

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:33 am »

So ok, if you still like random results you may still play PD1, and thus go onto PD1.5 ..
But why should someone who has tried PD1 and found it wanting and moved on come back to PD1.5 from 2?
  Just curious, not being a smartass for a change Smiley *smiles pleasantly* (even as he prepares several defensive and offensive counters)
ps. I was 'Iedomo Semajnivag' in PD1 and for a while in PD2, now I am âzst˝Gaxolisk.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:26:37 am by Juarlaxle » Logged

' It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well. ' - Siegbert Tarrasch
Jack Vellum
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:10:54 am »

Good question. Both have their advantages and draw backs. In PD1 I felt more free to gently rub a friends nose in it after a good raid because it wasn't really a reflection on them it was just the role of the dice. In PD2 your dragon is more a reflection on your success or failure as a trainer. As a result the gentile taunting can be taken much more to heart and so results in bad blood at time.
So if I was to return the banter would be one reason. The other main reason I play PD2 and not 1 anymore is that more thought went into Disgyn than Malvoisine. Malvoisine's name and gender don't even match. A new PD1.5 dragon wouldn't suffer the same problem as Mal'

All that being said I do like the greater level of strategy in PD2. The more I write here the more I think I may I start a PD1.5 dragon. (Or recreate Mal' properly this time.)

"Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us?" Frank Herbert
Kat, Aeron, and Elvy
Draconic Legend

<3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:38:59 pm »

I hate PD2. There's no easy way around it. I have a dragon that has been training MO, practically nonstop, for the last three months (I think it's three months) because I don't understand ANYTHING in the game. I find it too complex and when I ask for help in a thread here on forum, I get smart [body part] responses with a [bad noun] ton of numbers and math. PD2 sounded like a great idea, but after playing it for two months I still didn't know what I was doing, and was afraid to ask questions that had already been answered, and so decided to "retire" to collecting treasure and digging/elemental hunting/training stats that I know I will never understand, no matter how many times they are explained to me using kindergarten words.

PD1 on the other hand, I adore. It is EASY.

It might help you understand why I LOVE PD1 if you know that when I tried to play Super Mario Brothers the first time, by myself, a month ago, I lost. I didn't know it was timed, no one explained that to me.

If I have to ask 30,000 questions about what this does or why that is important, it takes all joy out of the game for me. Not to mention bothers just about everyone who tries to answer the question. I don't enjoy being treated like an idiot when I ask the same question for the fourteen thousandth time. There are some forumers who have been superawesome and helpful, but it's the others, who get to the question first and treat me like I should know everything about the game, because they do and they have no time for people who aren't as hardcore gamer as they are. Those people, and their (possibly unknowingly) condescending responses killed PD2 for me.

I will play PD1.5 because, if it's as Tesserex advertised, I will be able to understand it. I won't feel stupid asking questions, because I already have the basic knowledge of how the game (theoretically) works. There is strategy involved in PD1, it may not be as complex as PD2, but I have fun. I enjoy being able to look at the numbers on the page and say, "This dragon is 600 days younger than Aeron, and his record is 167-98. If all goes to plan, I can kick his [body part]." And if I lose to that 600 days younger weakling dragon, I still celebrate, because I just gained 10 FS in the process.

Sorry for the rant
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:40:46 pm by Kat, Aeron, and Elvy » Logged
bard
Dragon Rider

Never face the facts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:43:20 am »

Awwwww...hugs Kat!

I started playing cuz I love dragon mythology,I liked it because I'm a tweaker and fiddler and it forced me to make a decision and just live with the results,I stayed interested cuz it was new and amazing to me that I could kick [body part] all over the world,I became obsessed when I made friends with some of the coolest people on the internetz...I still love it for all of those reasons Smiley

It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living.

Charmed
Draconic Legend

The answer to your question is 42

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:33:38 am »

But why should someone who has tried PD1 and found it wanting and moved on come back to PD1.5 from 2?

Who's to say everyone found PD1 "wanting"? I enjoyed - and still do - the simplicity of PD1 - and I also believe that simplicity is needed in a FB application in order for it to gain lots of user (and lots of user mean more revenue). Let's not forget that some of the biggest successes on FB have been games where you, perhaps after a quick inbuilt tutorial, knew all the ins and outs after 10-15 minutes.

Despite being used to playing RPGs on my PC and therefore not being "new" to the math behind PD2 the complexity bored me to death. I deal with numbers and math on some level every day at work - and when I take a break to play my FB applications I want to be able to "switch off" so to speak. Even with a minor in math I understand fully where Kat's rant is coming from.

*Goes to hug Kat*
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:31:32 am by Charmed » Logged

"Do you want me to sit in the corner and rust or just fall apart where I'm standing?", Marvin the Paranoid Android, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
Dark Lord
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:49:46 am »

Who's to say everyone found PD1 "wanting"? I enjoyed - and still do

Couldn't agree more.  Personally, if I had to choose to play either PD1 and PD2, I'd choose PD1.

Gina and Tethys
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:55:53 am »

*hugs* Kat!! I really hope everyone reads your rant and takes it on board, because it's important imho.  You are FAR from alone in feeling the way you do about PD2, and I honestly believe that you are representative of the majority, and those who love it precisely for the complexity and the maths involved are in the minority.

Honestly I love both games with a passion, PD1 because of its simplicity and ease of use, but it still does have layers of complexity if you choose to look for them.  PD2 because of the endless possibilities and yes partly for its complexity, but I've found that instead of trying to fully understand the maths involved, and get into the minutia of everything, learning by trial and error has been the best way forward for me.  Duelling with friends was the single most useful thing I found in the early days, for checking on how my training methods were working out.  If I found I was missing a lot, I tried adding more vision and speed until it improved, if I found she was fighting like a pansy, adding strength until she found her stride etc.  

NOBODY should be made to feel like an idiot when asking questions here, this forum is supposed to be here to help players find out things, make friends, learn how to play the games better.  It isn't supposed to be a closed club for old timers and hard core gamers alone, and hell if an old timer like Kat feels belittled, how on earth does a complete n00b feel?Huh??

el
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:41:15 am »

Agreed all the way down the board...

I love PD1.  I started just because I saw someone with a pet dragon on their news feed.  I thought - that's better than some of the other "pet" apps on FB.  I don't read instructions well and bloated, taking a year to cap.  I LOVED nearly every minute of it.  I play with smart, fun people who are interested in the game and we enjoy it.

While I am okay with PD2 - it is too complicated for those of us not math involved.  It took forever for me to understand that logistics and dynamics enough that I could explain the game to others fighting the same fight to understand it.  Some of the things that we don't know, we are just taking on faith that is what it is.  Tongue 

The end result of all that as well is - none of it really matters except glicko... and we can't tell if our opponent has any or not, unless they are in close vicinity on the leaderboards.  That has always been a pet peeve of mine. 

I like Something Special but I don't think I love her the same way I love Solstice of Summer. 

I spent a few months getting "Choose your Weapon" for lack of anything better to do.  I see the same dragons day in and day out, all clustered in the centre of the map - then I listen to people talk about being bullied.  No one wants to move though. 

I go to the other places on the map and there are even fewer targets for raids. At this point for me, there is nothing really "to do" unless I want to be a repeat attacker.  Tongue

So - yeah - I'd give up PD2 before I'd give up PD1.

Dark Lord
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:09:37 am »

I don't read instructions well and bloated, taking a year to cap.  I LOVED nearly every minute of it. 

*Chuckles*

Just a year ... I'm over three years in and still haven't reached cap since about day five  gold grin

Lady__Dragon
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:20:11 pm »

I hope I'm not one of the condescending voices, Kat. If so, I sincerely apologize as it was certainly never intended. *hugs*

I am one of the ones who understood much of the math involved in PD2 early, and I love it for it's complexity. I love what JV described about the dragon being more of a reflection of the trainer and his/her decisions. If LJ fails, I'm disappointed in my decisions, and driven to try to correct whatever appears lacking. If LJ finds success, then I'm pleased that my choices have been proven as good ones.

PD1 I also love - but for totally different reasons. IMO, it's simplicity, yet ability to still have strategy involved, is the heart of it's brilliance. It really did take only 5 - 10 min to understand the general mechanics of the game. But there's room still for strategy in target selection, in what potions to use, when help is needed and when it's ok to go it alone on a defense.

It's other strengths are that it's so very social. It's also flexible to my schedule. I can spend hours checking in and moving VR from assist to assist, or I can pop in 2x per day and send her raiding for the day.

I truly don't want to give up any of my dragons. I love them all - equally - yet differently.

Life is short, eat dessert first.
Kat, Aeron, and Elvy
Draconic Legend

<3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 03:49:06 pm »
+2

Lady D, though I feel as though I've had little contact with you, compared to some others, I have never felt that you were condescending. Most, if not all, of the "old timers" have been more than happy to help, for which I am extremely grateful. And I am happy to hear that I'm not the only one who's still confused about some things.

It's nice to know that I'm being heard, even if it's just by forumers. I'm not sure I represent the majority, but I certainly know I represent myself and if others feel the same way, I don't mind being a voice for them.
Balfie
Fledgling Caretaker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:35:35 am »

Kat, I feel for you, I am hopeless at maths too.  I have had the potions explained to me several times, I still cant work out which are the best for my dragon.  It just makes no sense to me, I have never been good at maths and I doubt I ever will be!  And if I cant manage to work out the potions, you can imagine what hope I have of understanding the rest!

Having said that, it hasnt put me off playing although undoubtedly my dragon will never be one of the 'big boys'.  He keeps me entertanined for now though!

I agree with you comments about the forum too, bless everyone for trying to help and to explain things, but you end up trawling thru these horrendously complicated threads that go into infinite detail, and are peppered with mathematical equations, when all you usually want is a simple and basic answer to a question, or a kind of 'Idiots guide to PD2.'   There never seem to be 'simple' threads on here, its all always so complicated.
Thats why I dont come on here too much to be honest, its all a bit beyond me.

Ichindar
Wyrmling Handler

forever a PD Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 06:08:42 am »
+1

PD1 on the other hand, I adore. It is EASY.

Wholeheartedly agree! Long live PD1!  gold grin
BeRTie
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:12:39 pm »

I just restarted playing and am having fun again... just like in the beginning. I am going to avoid PD2 I think and just concentrate on BRT jr jr

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: