LiquidFyre Games Forums
October 22, 2017, 08:16:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Death of PD2  (Read 6741 times)
the_kav
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:22:26 am »

Ok, so this weekend some players of PD2 showed their discontent and started to post to the application's FB page, calling on the devs to address the issues we have with the game. It's still unfinished, with no sign of being finished; there's still the same bugs that haven't been fixed (dragons stripping off before combat; the message page redirecting back to the main PD2 page; potions not activating in combat; etc.); and Ultimate Quiz isn't doing so well or generating the money the devs need to make this their full time job. We haven't had an update since the middle of September (so the Resuming Weekly Updates has fallen by the way-side) and I can't be sure when we last had a fix/addition to PD2.

So is this game going to be abandoned by the devs? I doubt it. Will it be kept on the back-burner for 3 more years, while the players get bored and leave in their thousands? Well, that's been happinging for the last 3 years, so I think it's safe to speculate that this trend will continue. So what could be done to make the game more productive for the devs? Something simple, that could generate money for them?

What about more content? I'd pay for stuff. Hell, I'm paying for it now. But I'd pay for seasonal stuff too. I mean, we're in October. Hallowe'en is in 2 weeks. I'd have bought a Hallowe'en mask for my dragon, that gives a minor boost to fighting stats. I'd have bought a ghost-sheet-costume that gives a boost to stealth, just for the fun of it. There could even be different kinds of masks: a witch mask boosts potions; a Frankenstien's monster mask boosts toughness ('cos that guy would NOT go down; he was like Roadrunner!); a vampire mask boosts the Vamp element. It's Hallowe'en: there's a hundred different things to do with this!

And not just Hallowe'en. Christmas is coming, and there could be a seasonal item that, when equiped, boosts the ammount of gold you steal, or something Scrooge-like that lowers the % of gold that could be stolen from you.

You know what else I'd pay for? Single-use elemental rings that allow me to switch elements quickly. How many people have needed to switch from, say, Light to Metal for an assist/incoming, but couldn't find an elem close enough at hand? Would you pay for a ring that would do the job in 2 hours? I would.

I'd also pay for spells. Singe-action spells, one per fight (not per round) that can activate with potions. I'd pay for a fireball in the first round, or if I was being attacked by a dragon that I knew was a sneaky elem, a health spell that would activate when my dragon's health fell to below 10%, adding those crucial few hitpoints that can make a difference in a battle. How many times have you, or a friend said: "And then he reflected back more damage to me, even though the (dragon)ing (dragon) was bloody dead!!!"

What about those people that organize wars? They could benefit too. A single-action item that cloaks them for 12 hours, because they've just pulled off the raid of the century in the middle of a war zone, and need to dig their caves to make sure they get all their gold in before their enemy clan realises there's flashing neon light outside their cave advertising the fact that they have several million sitting on the lawn outside? They take a potion and Poof! the percentage of them being seen in a raid circle is lowered for 12 hours, while they dig furiously. Maybe there's a potion or an item that makes them dig faster that they've also bought, and are now happily using.

So what about it? Why not introduce more stuff that will actually generate money for the company? Or, failing that, just talk to us, devs, and let us know what's going on. A final: yes, we're working on this; or no, we're really not that bothered right now, sorry guys. ANYTHING!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:25:10 am by the_kav » Logged

Meat is murder! Hot, tasty, greasy murder!
Leviathan
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:03:56 am »

Honestly, I disagree with the idea of being able to ameliorate the fighting ability of our dragons through paying. This would be wrong for a multitude of reasons.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:06:12 am by Leviathan » Logged
Hippolyta
Draconic Legend

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:11:51 am »

Levi, me too, but I think this thread is less about exactly what teeth items should be introduced (heck there are plenty of other teeth threads out there) and more about the general state of the game in general, which is a complaint that I know you are wholeheartedly supportive of, right?
Fyredæmon
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:13:14 am »

I for one like the idea of new items - but I am also against paying for them. PD2 is a casual game (though one I very much) and I'd rather not pay for it. If I started paying for the things I wanted I would become poor (again) very quickly. I think many of the other more casual players would be discouraged from playing if some of the more well-known / active dragons bought the boost items.
the_kav
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:20 am »

*facepalm*

Ok, I'm going to try and do this without swearing, because - to me - the concept is quite simple.

1) the devs are not making any money.
2) if they are not making any money, working on this game isn't a useful way to spend their time.
3) the way this app can make money, is by charging money for features.
4) players aren't going to just give money to the devs for nothing.
5) clearly enough people aren't spending money on the single action queue to generate enough revenue.

To sum up: the devs need this app to make money before they will continue to develope it. If you don't want to pay for the new features, then don't.

Ok, so some people don't like the idea of items that boost fighting stats: fair enough. But can you come up with something to take their place? And what about spells? Isn't that an idea that could be developed? The game is dying. It's dropped thousands of players. There's more dead dragons in the game than actual players. I'm in the newborn catagory: it's a graveyard down here. Half of the people I know in this game are talking about giving it 6 more months and then resetting. And they're the hard-core players that pay for teeth.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:51:35 am by the_kav » Logged

Leviathan
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:58:01 am »

Levi, me too, but I think this thread is less about exactly what teeth items should be introduced (heck there are plenty of other teeth threads out there) and more about the general state of the game in general, which is a complaint that I know you are wholeheartedly supportive of, right?
You're right! I also support the idea of new teeth items; I moreover have some ideas which I'm willing to share if the developers express interest. Changes must take place. I just commented on the suggestions of the_kav/Errol because 5 paragraphs of her post are dedicated to them and I admit I forgot the heart of the problem!  blue tongue
the_kav
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 06:07:34 am »

Dude, 5 paras are dedicated to them 'cos I can't see any other way to make money for this game! Lol! Small items aren't going to be very hard to code, compared to massive things like clans. The devs need to be making some money to continue with the development of the game. The heart of the problem is that the game is being ignored and abandoned, and we players are sick of being ignored, but the solution is that the devs need some kind of incoming to make it lucrative for them to continue with their side of the game.

I moreover have some ideas which I'm willing to share if the developers express interest.
I really want to hear your ideas!  Grin

Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:16:40 am »

Me too, Lev!

But that's just the point, isn't it?  The devs decided after two months that there's no way pd2 will succeed, so they just said, "Screw up -- we give up, but we won't tell. anybody."

What could help retain new players?

A better tutorial. The way we have BLOWS.  I have plenty of ideas on fixing it, but there's no point in posting if it doesn't matter, will it?

Some sort of calculator for potions.  *I* have major trouble adding up my potions now.  I know several players have asked me for lists of potions they should use, simply because they don't want to do the math involved.

Teeth items.  And this is the heart of the issue, isn't it?  Levi's right -- even if we posted ideas for GREAT teeth items, stuff that stayed true to the original intention of the game, the devs STILL wouldn't do anything about it.  Several months I posted an idea for yoga mats/ home gyms, which would allow dragons to spar MO while waiting at someone's cave for an assist.  They would make EVERYONE'S life easier; the idea was generally well-received by the forum, but no official acknowledgment at all.  Apparently writing posts like this are just for our health. 

Daenerys
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:08 am »

I'm with Errol/The Kav on this on!! I already pay for games that aren't even as cool as training a fighting dragon and making a few new friends along the way. There are games on FB that asks for crazy amounts of money from their players in order to play it half-way well. Farmville, Castle Age, City of Wonder, all of these popular games have hundreds of items to choose from and many of them cost money to use. If you want to build a cool farm, or a kick-[body part] army, or a great empire, you have to pay for it or you are stuck with mediocre creations. Currently, I pay the little $5-$10 every few months on teeth, but that's gotten old. The items there are BORING! We want MORE!! So, if it's money the devs need I say we offer to give it to them, but only if they are willing to give us something in return. It would suck hot monkey [body part] to see that my 532 days of dragon training go down the drain!

*runs off to think of some ideas*

Valar Morghulis
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 06:24:25 am »

I can't say too much, but sleep well knowing that we are taking these concerns seriously, and we do not intend to let PD die.

And does anyone else think stuff like this is bs?  I don't want to be disrepectful, but every time there's some mini-revolt here on the forum we get some sort of placating response, "Oh, yes, we will spend five minutes of our lives doing weekly updates," something that doesn't even involve work, and of course it's been five weeks since we had one of those.  I did the UQ and even wrote a few quizzes for it. .  and now, what, exactly?

I'll make whoever's listening a deal.  Do ONE meaningful upgrade or change to pd2, and I'll make THREE quizzes.  Seriously.  Let's bargain.  Fix the assisting system, I'll do TEN quizzes.  You let the people who offered to do free coding for you DO it, hell, I'll make you TWO quizzes.  Never mind that making quizzes is boring and insanely time-consuming.  What more do you want from us?
the_kav
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 06:36:44 am »

Viva la revolution!!!

Lol, Snuzzle, I love how you'll do 10 quizess for the assisting system to be changed, but only 2 for new coders!  Grin

But ideas like this are needed! Some of us WILL pay for new content, just like we pay for Farmville or whatever (I play farmville now, by the way, if you want to add me as your neighbour*).

*shameless plug for another game. But it's a game that's being constantly developed with new content.

And does anyone else think stuff like this is bs?
And yes, I totally agree with that. One line in 5 weeks does not a happy player make.

Hippolyta
Draconic Legend

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 06:47:22 am »

I know Snuz. it seems like a total cop out to me too.

Now, I do understand why for instance they don't want to take on lots of other people to help out with the coding, as an example the situation that a helpful dragonplayer would then do some coding, and unless they want to put new code straight into the system untested, the devs then have to go through the new code checking it's all correct before they upload it and by the time that's done they could probably just have done the code themselves!

However, I am not sure why they can't say stuff like that to us, you know, give us REASONS why they don't want our help or advice or suggestions or whatever. It's a bit discouraging to just be ignored so often when so many dragons offer their help or suggestions.
the_kav
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 06:50:44 am »

However, I am not sure why they can't say stuff like that to us, you know, give us REASONS why they don't want our help or advice or suggestions or whatever. It's a bit discouraging to just be ignored so often when so many dragons offer their help or suggestions.

Especially when they specifically created this section of the forum so that we COULD post our ideas, under the guise of them 'taking a look' to see if any of our suggestions are suitable. So far, very few of our suggestions have been implemented; the others have been ignored. I'd say 'discarded' but we have been given no reasons as to WHY our suggestions are not suitable for the game.

Leviathan
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 07:46:39 am »

Me too, Lev!

There are two reasons I will not post my ideas before I know that the developers are interested. Firstly, because my post and the ones commenting my post would make this thread longer and I'm starting to believe that the longer a thread is the less the developers read! Secondly, because english is not my native language and I do not want to put effort into writing something that the developers will never read.
Nixta
Dragon Rider

Mine! Mine! Mine!. . .

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:41 am »

Maybe its time for us all to give up and move on.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: