LiquidFyre Games Forums
October 22, 2017, 08:15:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: New Year's Day Team Tournament!!!  (Read 6008 times)
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »

Greetings, one and all!

With the smashing success of the Equinox Tournament, hosted by 7th Day, Iím sure thereís not a few us disappointed that the next equinox is so far away.  Well, fear not!  In a grand follow-up, M.A.S.H. is proud to present. . . .

*drum roll please*

THE NEW YEARíS DAY TEAM TOURNEY!!!!!í

Thatís right, folks -- a brand new tourney, meaner and nastier than anything weíve yet encountered.  Unashamedly building upon the ETís legacy, the Team Tourny (TT) will be a team-based tournament where strategy is every bit as valuable as the training of your teamsí dragons.

Over the course of two weeks, beginning January 1st 2011, all teams will compete with every other team for the title.  All dragons will fight half of their duels on one day and the other half on another day.  Just like the Equinox tournament, dragons will be separated according to weight class -- but, depending on participation, there may be appropriately weighted duels across weight classes.  (Final descisions will be made once the tourney demographics become apparent.)

The basic format:

1st set of duels
Opponents:  everyone in your weight class
Round limit:  100 total
Health:  500%
Items:  OFF
Elements:  ON
Round length:  3 minutes
Visibility:  to anyone

2nd set of duels:
Opponents:  everyone in surrounding weight classes (N/A juvies and matures, whose classes might be large enough not to need this measure)
Round limit:  100 total
Health:  500%
Items:  OFF
Elements:  ON
Round length:  3 minutes
Visibility:  to anyone

All duels begin at 20:00 server time.  
Duel dates:  to be determined.

Yes, thatís right.  All these duels are to be LONG duels.  Wink

FINE PRINT:   The plan is for every dragon to fight somewhere between 15-40 duels, thus ensuing plenty of duel action for all you junkies.  These duels will occur on different dates so dragons have time to switch elements, if desired.    

Depending on participation, though, who you fight might still be up in the air.  One thing I want to avoid is dueling the same dragon twice.  Options include combining weight classes (such as newborns and feathers), duels outside oneís weight class for everyone except juvies and mature, duels only with portions of another weight class, etc.  I will work closely with team leaders to ensure the most equitable possible schedule.

I will make the final schedule AFTER preliminary team lists but BEFORE December 10th, which is when registration is closed and when duel requests may start being sent.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:10:53 pm by Snuzzle » Logged
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »

ORGANIZATION
Teams will be divided into two groups:  team members and team leaders.  There will only be one (1) team leader per group.  Teams may be as democratic as they like, but someone must be designated Team Leader so that they may communicate regular with the Tourny Admin, which is myself.

Team members have basic responsibilities.  For those of you familiar with the Equinox Tournament, the responsibilites are basically the same.

Team Members must
1.  Send/ accept duels with correct terms.  (Ask Tourny Admin or Team Leader)
2.  Report their duels within two (2) days.
3.  Report their element along with their duels.

For Team Leaders, things are more complicated.  Ordinary dragons donít have to really understand the inner workings of the tourny.  Team Leaders probably should.  For one thing, understooding  the rules and scoring system will help you choose competitive team members.  For another, team leaders will play a large factor in making sure their members know whatís going on and what they should do.  Thus, they need to have a clue themselves.

Team Leaders are responsible for
1. assembling your team
2. disseminating information to your team.
3. making sure all your teamís duels are sent with correct terms.
4.  making sure all your teamís duels are reported on time.
5. making sure all your teamís elements are reported.
6.  meeting all team deadlines  (list of deadlines upcoming)
7. Devising a team name.

In order to keep things running as smoothly as possible, the Tourny Admin will have a message thread involving all Team Leaders.  You can opt out of this thread if you wish, but it will be the easiest way available of answering questions.  Some of the TTís rules might seem arcane until the system is understood.  However, I assure you thereís a reason for every single one of them.

I furthermore recommend all Team Leaders have a thread involving just their team.  Discussing strategy, new members, and clarifications of the rules will be an important part of the team building process.

Since this tournament is designed to include relatively marginalized players, the situation might occur where a team invites a dragon to join who they donít really know.  In this case, I suggest an application process:  just a few Pms back and forth to make sure that the new applicant plays the game enough to fulfill their basic duties.  I know that for my own team a willingness to participate will be a key factor in recruitment.

APPLYING TO START A TEAM
A team will consist of 8-16 dragons.  There are no restrictions on weight classes, ages, elements, clan affiliations, or anything of that sort.

To start an application, the team leader must send a private message (PM) to my dragon, Lucifer Apotheosis.  The title of the message must read, ďTT application -- [your dragonís name here].Ē

Iím serious about that.  For one thing, Iíll need something easily searchable for my records.  More importantly, if this tournament ends up being as large and complex as I think it will be, I need to make sure that thereís at least one member of each team who understands instructions enough to pass them along them along to his or her squad.

Within the body of your application, please include the following
1.  Preliminary list of dragonís on your team.  (Must be 3 others besides yourself, although this is not yet fixed in stone.)
2.  A preliminary name for your team, aka, ďGashouse Gorillas,Ē whatever.

My profile link is: http://apps.facebook.com/petdragonstwo/profile.php?id=1173119014

Obviously, much of this info can change.  Once I get the website running, Iíll post a list of various deadlines.  (Only Team Leaders need concern themselves with these.)  Team roll-calls can change as much as anyone likes up til the final date for applications, December 10th.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:37:25 pm by Snuzzle » Logged
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »

SCORING THE TEAM TOURNAMENT
Now, what makes the New Yearís Day Team Tourny special?  Basically, the points system.  The TT point system will be much more complex than what the Equinox Tourney used.  Fortunately, understanding the system is not necessary for participation.  (Although a good understanding will help Team Leaders make good strategy descisions.)  

Points will be determined among three categories, each with their own point value.

POINTS SYSTEM
50 points:  dominance score
50 points:  raw score
70 points:  diversity score.

Prizes will be awarded to the winner of each individual category.  The Grand Prize -- and the honor of the greatest team -- will go to the team with the highest total score.  

CATEGORIES EXPLAINED

DOMINANCE POINTS
Dominance will be measured with the same complicated formula used by the 7th Day Clan in the Equinox tournament.  Iíll post a link when I get the website up and running.

After those scores are calculated, the ďmost dominantĒ team will be awarded the maximum of 50 points.

Every other team will be awarded points based on their percentage of the winning team.  Points will be rounded to the nearest whole number.

For example, in winning the ET, 7th Day received a score of 1823.  Under the team tournament, this will translate to 50 points.

The second place clan, Order of the Rose, received a score of 1378.  This is .755 of the 7th Dayís score, so OotR would have received 38 points.  The next team, 7th House, would have received 24 points.

RAW SCORE POINTS
Raw score will be calculated thus:

Loss = 1
Draw = 2
Win = 3

Raw scores are easily calculated.  You simply add up the score from all a team's wins, draws, and losses.  If a team has 100 wins, 10 draws, and 50 losses, their raw score will be 370.

The conversion system will operate the same as it does in the Dominance Category.  The highest raw score will receive 50 points.  All other teams will get a percentage of that.

Raw score is meant to balance out dominance.  A team of 8 dragons might get a large dominance score by winning all its matches, but a weaker team of 16 dragons might win the raw score portion.  There, even losses count.  The goal is to encourage maximum participation.  Even weaker dragons can serve a valuable role for their team.

DIVERSITY POINTS
The DP system is my true heart and joy of this tournament.

The points are straightforward.  Before a single duel has been fought, your team will accrue DP based on elements, ages, and weight classes.  Of these, diversity of elements is the most important.

Elements
Water -- 4 points
Poison -- 2 points
Undead -- 2 points
Energy -- 2 points
All other elements -- 1 point

Bonuses:
22 points:  +10 point bonus
21 points:  +7 point bonus
20 poitns:  +5 point bonus
19 points:  +3 point bonus
18 points:  +1 point bonus
17 points:  +1 point bonus

Example:  a team with 4 light dragons, 2 chaos dragons, 2 fire dragons, 1 undead dragon, 1 water dragon will earn 9 points.  (Does not reach bonus.)

If that same team adds 10 different elements each worth 1 point, then that team would therefore get 19 points.  That makes the bonus.  So, if you add three points to nineteen, the total points earned will be 22.

Because dragons will fight duels on different days, a dragon can change elements for that second set of duels.  In that case, that counts as a new element for your team.

Age Diversity Bonuses
If you have at least one (1) dragon in each of these age brackets, you receive:
0-100 days = 7 points
101-200 days = 5 points
201-350 days = 3 points
351-450 days = 1 point
451 days & up = 0 points

In addition, teams get plus two (+2) bonus points for each additional dragon under 200 days old (not to exceed the classes original bonus).  I.e., if you have two 50-day old dragons, you get 9 points.  If you have two 50-day old dragons and three 140-day dragons, you get 18 points.

Weight class Diversity Bonus

Your team get plus one (+1) bonus point for every weight class you have represented.  So if your team has 8 weight classes, you get +8 points.

In addition, there are bonuses for reaching higher thresholds.

If your team has:
12 weight classes:  12 points
11 weight classes:  8 points
10 weight classes:  5 points
9 weight classes:  3 points
8 weight classes:  1 point
7 weight classes:  1 point

Thus, that earlier team that earned 8 points for representing 8 weight classes will reach bonus.  Their final score will be 9.

-----------------------

A number of other rules and regulations will apply, but thatís the big stuff for now.  I wanted to give people a headís up about the tournament -- get them thinking about the constitution of their teams.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:30:14 am by Snuzzle » Logged
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:12:36 pm »

Clarification:  when I wrote about the "N/A to juvies and matures" in section I, I only meant that their classes might be large enough in themselves that duels outside their weight might not be necessary.  If the TT demographics end up much more balanced than the Equinox Tourny demographics, appropiate adjustments would be made.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:52:52 am by Snuzzle » Logged
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:01:00 pm »

Btw, I'll post a complete listing of all the rules and regulations when I get the tourny blog up and running.  (Hopefully within the next few days.)  There are a number of rules and clarifications which will help make this TT as inclusive as possible.  Unfortunately, they do add to the complexity of the tourny, and I thought these last few posts were too long for a beginning announcment already.
Tesserex
Dragon World Creator
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:30:12 pm »

We totally have to make tournaments official and supported in PD2.5...

Craig Schwartz - Pet Dragons developer / coder
Ill_save_myself
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:45:54 pm »

Great idea Lucy.  Sounds like a logistical headache, so props for taking it on.  If you need any help organising then I dont mind helping out.

We totally have to make tournaments official and supported in PD2.5...

Very interersting!  Shocked
Defractor
Wyrm Trainer

with each iteration a more refined dragon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »

if
elements are included in the scoring,
and if
there are weight classes that fight battles on more than one day while others only fight one set of duels,
then
only the elements of the first set of duels should be considered (for all dragons, regardless of weight class)

Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:41:38 pm »

Defractor,

All dragons will fight duels on two different days.  The only issue is whether that second group of duels will be within one's weight class.  That will be determined once I have a better idea of the numbers of participants.
Defractor
Wyrm Trainer

with each iteration a more refined dragon.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:52 pm »

ah ok.  I apparently wasn't clear about ALL dragons fighting more than one set, I was thinking that the dragons within the larger weight classes would only fight once...  my bad.
Comethenastrainer
Fledgling Caretaker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 01:07:03 am »

Sounds fantabulous - thanks for initiating this!!
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:11:26 am »

Update time.

The last thing I need to do before the tourny blog comes out is determine the health percentages for out-of-weight class duels.  Right now, the goal is that a high-end dragon with red-caps will reach MAD with a middle-weight dragon, also red-capped, of one weight range higher.  So far, the tests I've done suggest that a health boost of 800-900% vs. 500% produces the best results.

If anyone any red-capped dragons out there have better figures, please send them to me via PM.  Make sure test duels are 100 rounds with the heavier dragon at 500% health.  Items and elements should both be turned off.

The blog should out in a few days.
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 04:37:12 pm »

The tourny blog is ready!

http://teamtournament1.wordpress.com/

Some key rules that weren't mentioned before:

1.  "Low-End Rule."  if any dragon is within 5% of his weight classís minimum weight, then he may apply to participate in one (1) weight class lower than him, with penalty.

2.  Ages are "fixed" on November 1st.  So, a dragon 100 days old on November 1st may qualify for the 0-100 age bracket.

3.  Monstrous / colossal /Ecliptic will be one weight class.

4.  If a dragon changes elements in mid-duel, their element at round 30 will be the element of record.

5.  For duels outside one's weight range, the dragon in the lower class would give itself 850% health.  (The opponent would receive the regular 500% health.)  Dragons entered under the Low-End Rule will give themselves 750% health.

The Tournament Adminstrator tried to cover all eventualities but, should something come up, the TA reserves the right to add or modify rules.

As of right now, as I said before, the number of duels fought won't be known until December 10th, when rosters are finalized.  I encourage people to submit their teams as early as possible.  They would be under "Team Rosters."

For a full list of Rules and Regulations, please look in the relevant section.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:38:58 pm by Snuzzle » Logged
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:48 am »

Reminder to (potential) team leaders:  the deadline for submitting applications to the Team Tournament is just a little over three weeks away!  Get those teams assembled, folks!   gold tongue
Snuzzle
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 10:29:05 am »

To answer a question which has come up a number of times:

Clans can send more than one team.

In fact, unlike the Equinox Tourny, there are no restrictions on team membership at all.  A clan could send a team with more non-clan members than clan members.  A team can have 10 newborns or 0.  A team could have all light dragons, or any combination they please.

If a clan sends more than one team, it is perfectly permissible for them to work together in any way they see fit, for the benefit of one, the other, or both.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: