LiquidFyre Games Forums
September 21, 2017, 02:58:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Elemental scaling and equipment bonus  (Read 7657 times)
me
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:22:44 pm »

I'm starting to wonder if there is something up with scaling not taking bonuses into account.

I have never attacked a L1 (or equivalent) element. I have beaten up to L4 w/out having existing attunement by using equipment and potions.

I could usually easily defeat elements 2 levels above me w/out equipment.

I'm now onto my 58th elemental battle but over the past few days I have been losing my usual fights and have been reduced to taking on an element only 2 levels above me as I've been losing most fights for the last three days.

My bonus to stats when using gear and potions are as follows:

Strength - 60%
Speed - 62.5%
Vision - 46%

I did do some training in toughness that could account for some change but I think it unlikely that it alone would put me back to the position I was in before using any potions or equipment. Not to mention I'm also crossing elements and get the additional bonus from using them.

Another friend with similar stats noticed the same thing at the same time. She started losing all her fights too. Is it possible there is a bug with elemental scaling improperly not excluding equipment bonus? Or have you changed the elements in some other way that could account for this dramatic change?

Edit: Corrected % bonus for speed. Forgot to factor in potion.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:31:46 pm by me » Logged
michugana
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:38:44 pm »

Not that this would account for a dramatic change but your armor can only give you a max bonus of 50%.
Lucifer Rising
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »

Are the elementals 2 lvls above you of a higher overall level then the low-level elementals you beat, which were 4 levels above you?

It might be possible that, the higher level elemental you fight, their scaling is exponential.  So that if a lvl 4 elemental is 4 points higher than you (to make up a random number), a level 5 elemental might be 5.5 points above you.

I do knw that one of my housemates, with equipment and Newborn weight, just defeated a lvl 5 Vampire element.  This actually has nothing to do with your question; I'm just in shock and awe.   black teeth
me
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:30:11 pm »

Not that this would account for a dramatic change but your armor can only give you a max bonus of 50%.

I know, but gear plus potions can give you significantly more if you're still small.
me
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:48:01 pm »

Are the elementals 2 lvls above you of a higher overall level then the low-level elementals you beat, which were 4 levels above you?

It might be possible that, the higher level elemental you fight, their scaling is exponential.  So that if a lvl 4 elemental is 4 points higher than you (to make up a random number), a level 5 elemental might be 5.5 points above you.

I do knw that one of my housemates, with equipment and Newborn weight, just defeated a lvl 5 Vampire element.  This actually has nothing to do with your question; I'm just in shock and awe.   black teeth

I have considered that LR but my experience ranges from battling L2-L4 with no attunement (and winning) to taking on up to L10's which the equivalent of 4 levels above me, altho admittedly the former is the more common. I have some attunement to 10 different elements ranging from 7% to 85%. Until recently I have been fairly accurate at predicting what I could and could not win and have actually been more likely to win when I had doubts rather than lose when I thought I should win.

I may just have been lucky or had my dragon so finely tuned that a small deviation has had catastrophic effects on performance, but before I start messing further with stats (at the risk of making things worse) I'd like to be sure that there isn't something else going on.
me
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:59:37 pm »

I guess with all the new gear and potions this issue may be moot. I'll be recalculating everything to max effect and see if my previous success returns.
Virtual Inept
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:12:46 pm »

me, I've noticed the exact same thing over the past few days.  I put it down to bad luck, or the some kind of exponential curve/game system I was unaware of.

Thing is, it's *really* hard to tell, given RR is involved!
me
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:29:52 pm »

Yep, but if it is noticeable as a distinct trend by multiple parties over the same time frame then it may be significant.

If there is a bug it may have been rectified by the equipment roll out. I will continue to observe.
Virtual Inept
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:35:23 pm »

Ditto.  Meet back here in a few days to discuss our observations?   blue wink
me
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:38:44 pm »

For sure. I just checked the updates page and found this.

June 7, 2009

Some bugs with item bonuses were resolved.

Timing is about right for the change in my elemental fortunes. Either the changes were significant and we were getting results we shouldn't have before or this update broke something else.
me
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 02:14:04 am »

Just finished a battle with a L4 fire elemental. My active element was also fire at 28.44%, so I'm almost a L3 against a L4.

My gear is giving me a 46.72% bonus to strength, 50% bonus to speed and 46.58% bonus to vision. So basically I'm 50% faster, stronger and visually gifted than the elemental scaling thinks I am. I didn't take a potion as that seemed a reasonable match up with the advantage in my favour due to bonuses.

Starting HP: 626 to 665
After Round 12 HP: 268 (43%) to 263 (40%)

Not the advantage I hoped for so I took a Capsaicin potion.

End of battle HP: 99(16%) to 0 after 17 rounds

These results are vastly different to what I used to achieve and battle was much closer than it should be given my bonuses, IMO.

Compare this to my battle against a L5 fire on June 5th. I had 11% Fire and crossed from about 75% Psychic (which may seem like a lot but it only activated once). So a L1 vs a L5. I took Capsaicin and EE.

Starting HP: 527 to 732

End of battle HP: 65(12%) to 0 in 11 rounds

So my elemental cross and EE potion gave me one dodge, I had the benefit of Capsaicin from round one and I have increased my toughness and size slightly between the two fights. Seems a pretty extreme difference to me that I could defeat and element 4 levels higher than me then and now I can barely take out one 1 level higher.
Shimmer's_trainer
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 04:30:00 am »

My dragon is also small, and yesterday I took on a level 7 elemental with 63% attunement. It lasted until round 18, and ended at 27% - 0%
Definitely more difficult than normal.

I am so omniscient that if there was to be two omnisciences, I would be both.
Also, WDoV and stuff
Alfarion
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 06:35:50 am »

My small sample of data seem to support the theory, that hunting elementals has become more difficult.

My last elemental fight was on the 8th of June. It turned out to be significantly harder than I had expected and I lost 0%-32%
5 days before that I won against the same element 42% - 0%
Sure the relative bonus from my equipment had gotten a bit worse during those 5 days, but I also had 7 % more attunement, so I would not have expected it to be more difficult.
me
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 07:54:48 am »

Here's my recent battle history. Clearly shows change dates from June 7, 2009 when update occurred - Some bugs with item bonuses were resolved. Looks to me like item bonuses disappeared.

Level 4 Fire Elemental
Jun 11, 2009
You gained 5.31% attunement.

Level 4 Fire Elemental
Jun 10, 2009
You gained 6.64% attunement.

Level 5 Earth Elemental - expected to win based on past performance
Jun 10, 2009
You failed!

Level 10 Psychic Elemental
Jun 9, 2009
You gained 7.5% attunement.

Level 5 Fire Elemental - expected to win based on past performance
Jun 9, 2009
You failed!

Level 7 Metal Elemental - expected to win based on past performance
Jun 8, 2009
You failed!

Level 6 Vampire Elemental - expected to win based on past performance
Jun 8, 2009
You failed!

Level 4 Earth Elemental
Jun 7, 2009
You gained 9.2% attunement.

Level 4 Shadow Elemental - test battle, expected to lose. No attunement.
Jun 7, 2009
You failed!

Level 4 Ice Elemental - test battle, expected to lose. No attunement.
Jun 6, 2009
You gained 11% attunement.

Level 4 Energy Elemental - test battle, expected to lose. No attunement.
Jun 6, 2009
You failed!

Level 5 Fire Elemental
Jun 5, 2009
You gained 10.8% attunement.

Level 10 Psychic Elemental
Jun 5, 2009
You gained 9.37% attunement.

Level 8 Psychic Elemental
Jun 4, 2009
You gained 6.71% attunement.

Level 3 Earth Elemental