LiquidFyre Games Forums
August 17, 2017, 09:15:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Fork Sould My Dragon Use? - PD2 Etiquette Questions  (Read 8674 times)
dkstones
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:20:24 am »

Okay so I was reading through the clan recruiting section and I came across the following quote from Sherbear.

4. Please do not try to organize group attacks, or participate in group attacks unless specified by the groups administrators. Such things are highly frowned upon in the Pet Dragons community and could bring shame upon the clan/alliance, especially if the dragon is not highly deserving of such action.

My friend and I were planning to attack someone together later today. Would that really be in poor taste? We are doing more because we just started yesterday and don't know if we are powerful enough to even get through minimal toughness. Also, just to figure it out as a part of game play. Any way I came across this and both wanted an answer to this specific question as well as realize there might be some other etiquette issues I don't know about yet or other people might want to know about.

Feel free to explain why I am an idiot, but can someone answer my question while they are at it?

Charmed
Draconic Legend

The answer to your question is 42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:29:19 am »

I think that what Sher meant by that is that "ganging up on people" can be considered bullying, especially if we're talking about large groups that repeatedly attack the same dragons over and over.

Allow me to ask a counter-question; why do you and your friend want to attack together in the first place? It's not as if your two dragons will be able to help each other - to the defending dragon it will be two separate incomings. Attacking together will not give you two an advantage.

"Do you want me to sit in the corner and rust or just fall apart where I'm standing?", Marvin the Paranoid Android, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
el
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:31:06 am »

That is a rule for a particular clan. You do not belong to that clan, so the rule means nothing to you.

Whether it is in poor taste to attack at the same time or not is up to you - however - each battle is conducted on it's own.  Your target would not be fighting both of you at the same time, so to speak.

The only advantage you may have is whether or not they have assistance for both incomings.

edited to add:
As for the issue of gang attacking,  in PD1 - it is sometimes a preferred strategy, however, it is looked upon by many as rude and you may get back your own in spades!

In PD2, this hasn't been established yet.  Flight times will be different, prep times too maybe,  I doubt that simultaneous attacks are possible, but does it matter?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:34:48 am by el » Logged

dkstones
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:01 am »

I know it is a rule for that clan and it doesn't effect me. But I don't want to go around pissing everyone off either. Mostly because I am smaller than a lot the people that would be pissed off.

To the larger question, I didn't realize that you couldn't join together into one attack. I don't play these games much, really only PD1 with its limited game play and at one time in the past, ogame, which PD2 is closer to. I read some stuff in the FAQs that wasn't there because I was comparing the game play with ogame game play where group attacks are an integral part of play. As I said earlier half our reason for doing the double attack was to figure out how to do it because it wasn't clear, obviously it wasn't clear how to because you straight up can't.

Thanks for the clarification.

Charmed
Draconic Legend

The answer to your question is 42

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:45 am »

To the larger question, I didn't realize that you couldn't join together into one attack. I don't play these games much, really only PD1 with its limited game play and at one time in the past, ogame, which PD2 is closer to. I read some stuff in the FAQs that wasn't there because I was comparing the game play with ogame game play where group attacks are an integral part of play.

Once clans get implemented (we don't know when) something similar will be available for those belonging to a clan; namely clan battles. How these will work is also a mystery to this date (as far as I know). They might fundtion like multiple individual attacks or by combining the powers of the involved dragons on each side to some "super dragon" or something completely different...

But as far as normal battles go, there is no advantage to be gained from attacking simultaneously with friends. red smile

"Do you want me to sit in the corner and rust or just fall apart where I'm standing?", Marvin the Paranoid Android, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
Lucifer Rising
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:33:04 am »

As for the etiquette, I try to follow the golden rule.  I don't see nearly simultaneous attacks as rude, so I have no problem with telling a friend about a nice available target.  (Note:  I did annoy one player by doing this, although this was far from my intent.  I just didn't see why it's preferable to get 2 attacks a day apart as opposed to within the same hour.) 

One thing I'll never do another player, though, is attack them again if I've already defeated them once.  The few repeat attacks I've done have almost always been because I'd forgotten I'd beaten them before.  There's plenty of other targets out there.

This is just the etiquette I try to follow, though, and it's not meant meant to be prescriptive.  It *has* helped me avoid conflicts with other players, which certainly detracts from everybody's fun.  Smiley
BeRTie
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:57:15 am »

The rules that were written for the DRMC are a standard set of guidelines that I came up with when I first made the clan. She has since adjusted them slightly to suit her tastes, but that one was an original that I gave her.  In general, if you want to attack the same dragon, stagger the attacks so that you arent seen as a pest, or ask the dragon in question if it is okay. Some dragons do not care because they can get adequate assistance... others do not have more than one friend, or indeed have no one to help them so risk losing a lot of gold, which could very well annoy them. While I concur with many that this is a game about dragons attacking one another, I find it is not a bad idea to keep in mind the human behind the dragon.

F'Noth
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »

I find it is not a bad idea to keep in mind the human behind the dragon.

Well said!  red teeth
Voden
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:51:40 am »

Is once every three days enough gap between attacking the same target?

There are very few wealthy dragons in my immediate area, so it is very tempting to raid the same few targets repeatedly.
el
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:19:19 am »

I'm not sure what will be the standard in PD2.  It would seem to me though that if you think you can hit the same target every 3 days, then someone could feel the same about hitting you at that rate.  Keep that in mind.

And how is that person with it?  A bit of communication might be handy.  Talk to them and ask.  If it just feels to them like you are farming them and they are upset about it - move on.  If they are training differently and want to see how it worked, they might look forward to it.  Asking probably will prevent problems in the future.

I find it is not a bad idea to keep in mind the human behind the dragon.

This is a good idea but gets lost in the reality: everyone does not feel exactly the same about things. 
Having friends attack each other would delete some friendships very fast and others love it.

Ask.  What do you think?  What do you feel about this? 

Mist
Fledgling Caretaker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 10:51:37 am »

If they have money; they're expecting to be attacked often... I think, it's more than fair to attack the same target every three days.  If they don't want to be attacked, they can regulate it by keeping their gold levels lower.

Paragon
Draconic Legend

Don't be afraid. Together we can make it.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 02:32:45 pm »

One thing I'll never do another player, though, is attack them again if I've already defeated them once.  The few repeat attacks I've done have almost always been because I'd forgotten I'd beaten them before. There's plenty of other targets out there.
In general, this is how I play PD1. However, I question the validity of the last sentence in PD2.
In PD2, we now have location and flight time to further shrink our set of targets. We no longer have the luxury of having 3,000+ dragons in every weight range. At some point, whether we like it or not, we will be forced to repeat (unless your etiquette includes moving once a week).

Ask.  What do you think?  What do you feel about this? 
A good philosophy in general, but it's a complete failure on those who do not wish to compromise. If you need an example, take a look at the people that post long rants on app walls when they don't get what they want.

If they have money; they're expecting to be attacked often...
If your victim considers it bullying, nothing justifies your attacks.
If they don't want to be attacked, they can regulate it by keeping their gold levels lower.
It is not fair to attack someone because they don't do what you want them to.

Summing up how I feel: If anyone here thinks they have a 100% perfect etiquette, I suggest that you throw that idea away.

We all have our own etiquettes in attacking. However, when all is said and done, only the victim can tell you whether your etiquette is wrong or not.
Play the game how you feel is fair. If someone disagrees with you, decide who is right on a case-by-case basis.

TR;DR - there are no concrete rules in life.

The following number:
may be illegal for you to read. So please, whatever you do, don't read it.

Hmm... too late Sad
Fiddler
Draconic Legend

It's been a slice but now I have to scream

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 03:19:34 pm »

If they have money; they're expecting to be attacked often... I think, it's more than fair to attack the same target every three days.  If they don't want to be attacked, they can regulate it by keeping their gold levels lower.

Sure more money brings in more attacks but saying that someone should lower their gold levels is absurd, what if they are trying to climb the wealth board, the Overall Board...gold is necessary.

What see you in the horizon's bruised smear
That cannot be blotted out
By your raised hand?
el
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 03:35:41 pm »

Re: talking to them

A good philosophy in general, but it's a complete failure on those who do not wish to compromise. If you need an example, take a look at the people that post long rants on app walls when they don't get what they want.

TR;DR - there are no concrete rules in life.

I think the ranting on cave walls comes especially if there is no communication. If someone asked me if I minded being attacked again, I would have the chance to negotiate what I think is reasonable and hopefully we reach an agreement.

From my experiences many cases of bullying are simply lack of or miscommunication.  "I thought we were having a friendly rivalry". "S/he attacked me first".  "We aren't even yet - s/he still has more of my gold".

Had someone said - I am going to continue to attack you until I get all my  gold back, at least everyone knows what is going on.  And you might be inclined to take more of their gold. lol

But no one is a victim.

Fid,
Mist is not alone in his thoughts.  I know plenty of raiders who have it too and plow gold into titles etc to keep it low.  If someone has gold, they have to expect incomings.

Being on the leaderboards means you have to prove you are worthy, by keeping your gold.  If it can be taken, then you don't get to stay there...

Fiddler
Draconic Legend

It's been a slice but now I have to scream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 03:43:12 pm »

Oh i realize that..I am under attack all the time for my gold. I just think it's silly for someone to say "don't have so much gold then"
...I know gold dumpers too...and will stop now before I rant and completely derail this thread.

What see you in the horizon's bruised smear
That cannot be blotted out
By your raised hand?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: