LiquidFyre Games Forums
September 21, 2017, 03:08:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fighting Skills  (Read 1232 times)
Rob
Wyrmling Handler

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:28:22 am »

Heres what I would like to see in PD. Bear with me, I think this might end up a little long. Ive tried to explain it the best way that I can while still trying to keep the idea as a whole simple and playable in a short period of time.

Customizable fighting skills, not as stand alone stats, but as a compliment to our current FS. I was originally thinking along the lines of breaking our FS down into Strength, Speed, Endurance, and Agility, but I think that might be a little too complex, both in terms of coding and for new comers to PD. So instead perhaps just three areas, Attack, Defense and Endurance. Ive always enjoyed customizing my characters no matter the game especially in fighting games, and to keep it simple I think this might be easier. Its pretty obvious which each category would do, Attack would increase your chance for a win, defence would increase your chance of keeping your gold, and endurance would decrease the attack time. How to implement such an idea is another story though, and my mind isnt up to this task at the moment.

So I was thinking that it would have to be broken down according to our weight category, would be easier if there were fighting skill levels, each time you go up a weight category you would be able to train more in each area, (perhaps having to buy the training, this could be an answer to the inflation issue) For example, a Newborn would be able to train levels 1-5, then a Teeny dragon would train levels 3-8 and so on. If these levels were to be bought you would gradually increase the value with each level of training, making it fair on beginner players.

I wouldnt want the training to play to big a role in the combat formula, perhaps just tipping the odds slightly in your favour, when the attackers training isnt balanced out by the defenders training level that is.

Ive tried to apply the KISS principle, now I leave it to better and brighter minds to either shoot me down in flames or add some helpful suggestions.
0ntique.|ShΛdΘw₣∂ux| - 2
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 05:35:53 am »

it is a good idea but seems very complex to me in terms of coding and it will also bring a massive change in the game....and the FS gain is same for all the trainers no matter what his dragon size is.it has a purpose and that is to make it fair to all dragon..i do not see the necessity to change that...

mEsS wId dA bEsT dIe LiKe dA rEsT....

|ShΛdΘw₣aux| - 2 is the best...

Click here to take the challenge 

Shimmer's_trainer
Dragon Rider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:54:30 am »

I like the idea in principle, but I think it would drive away a lot of the players who like the simplicity of the game (myself included)
I personally would not like to see something like this implemented.

I am so omniscient that if there was to be two omnisciences, I would be both.
Also, WDoV and stuff
masterfool
Global Moderator
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:44 pm »

Rob,
  I think these three have all brought up relevant points.  The idea is very complex - and this game is supposed to be simple.  Furthermore, forcing people to "buy" points creates too much of a spread between the "power player" who knows how to attack rich dragons and the "casual gamer" who really just picks a target on the Random Dragon thread. 

But my BIGGEST issue is that you tie the idea to "weight classes" . .. .while the current attack options are NOT tied to weight classes.  Meaning that even though a dragon is in Immense, it can still attack a ways down into Massive (lets look at an 80k dragon - lower Immense. . . who has a bottom end of his attack range at 60k - Mid Upper Massive) . . . so giving the Immense dragon MORE of an advantage would be a Bad Move.  You'd see players hovering at the bottom end of a weight category so they could trounce the people in the lower category that didn't have the extra abilities.

Basically, if the game had been originally designed with ideas like this in mind, it would have worked . . . . but it wasn't.  It was designed to be simple.  Complex ideas are EXTREMELY difficult to integrate into a simple environment.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.
barwhack
Fledgling Caretaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:59:43 am »

You could apply a customizable stat -- either toward att/def/end -- and call it all "magic training".  It could be somewhat mutually exclusive -- so that attackers are poorer at def/end with regard to applying the magic; defenders are poorer at att/end; and racers are poorer at att/def.  "magic" of this sort could be bought or limited by "mana" of some kind.

To protect players who don't want to deal with it, you could make it work BETTER on those players who are also using it...  so "no training" would be like having the "nearly immune to all magic" bit set.  And you could make it expensive, so that it's a rich trainer's add-on, and might thus address inflation to some extent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: