LiquidFyre Games Forums
September 21, 2017, 03:05:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our new Forums! Please take some time to read the few posts in "The Official Word" category.

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register GO TO PET DRAGONS GO TO PET DRAGONS 2  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Text column width  (Read 4206 times)
Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:27:09 am »

While the facebook forum has a very skinny text column this one seems to have a very very wide one. Any way we can have something a bit in between? Smiley

Or is this something that I can change myself? Looked around a bit in the settings but couldn't really find anything which suggested it.

"Invader blood courses through my veins like radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me, do not ignore my veins!"

Btw I've turned off signatures so if I never comment on how awesome yours is - it is because I can't see it.
Kyle & Quetzalcoatl
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:31:03 am »

Hmmm...Why do you want to change the text column width?  Mine floats with the width of my browser window so I don't have a problem with it...But I'm curious.  *grin*

Quetzalcoatl means "Feathered Serpent".  In ancient Aztec beliefs he was associated with the wind and was the most powerful of the gods.  Once he regains his control of the wind, he will regain his supremecy! Until then, we are busy trying to survive in this dangerous world of meteors and strange ti
Zedarius
Dragon Overseer
Developer
Draconic Legend

He's a dragon. He burns things.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:35:53 am »

Hmmm...Why do you want to change the text column width?  Mine floats with the width of my browser window so I don't have a problem with it...But I'm curious.  *grin*

Woah...It does! That's really cool...  Tongue That might be a temporary solution, Shati? If you resize your browser window everything shrinks to fit it. Not sure if there's any settings that allow you do to it permanently.

Danny Olefsky
Codesigner and developer of Pet Dragons
Signature by Tordana
tordana
Fledgling Caretaker

.Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:23:48 pm »

Woah...It does! That's really cool...  Tongue That might be a temporary solution, Shati? If you resize your browser window everything shrinks to fit it. Not sure if there's any settings that allow you do to it permanently.

There is, in the CSS file of the skin there's a .columnwidth{x pixels} variable I believe. May be named something slightly different.

Zedarius
Dragon Overseer
Developer
Draconic Legend

He's a dragon. He burns things.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:27:32 pm »

There is, in the CSS file of the skin there's a .columnwidth{x pixels} variable I believe. May be named something slightly different.

Is this something editable by the individual users, or would it have to affect everybody? I'm under the impression the latter is true.

Danny Olefsky
Codesigner and developer of Pet Dragons
Signature by Tordana
Kyle & Quetzalcoatl
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:33:02 pm »

If its in the CSS file but not listed in our individual preferences, then its definitely going to be forum-wide....

Quetzalcoatl means "Feathered Serpent".  In ancient Aztec beliefs he was associated with the wind and was the most powerful of the gods.  Once he regains his control of the wind, he will regain his supremecy! Until then, we are busy trying to survive in this dangerous world of meteors and strange ti
Sara
Draconic Legend

Dragon Tamer and Writer Extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:44:02 pm »

Yeah, if Danny changed the .css file it would change it for everyone.

I thought of two solutions.  One, resizing the window like was suggested above.  And two, someone making a new theme with a narrower width text thing. The simplest way would be to just copy one of the current themes, probably the default, and name it <theme name> (Narrow Board) or something and find (for the default skin) this:

Code:
/* Posts and personal messages displayed throughout the forum. */
.post, .personalmessage
{
width: 100%;
overflow: auto;
line-height: 1.3em;
}

in the CSS file for the theme and change the 100% to something smaller, like 75%.  That should work.

Shatiz
Draconic Legend

I'm right, you're wrong

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:57 pm »

Cool, it does float with the browser... not an ideal solution though.

The reason I wanted to change the width was because I found the sentences very long to read. Since it is easier to move your eyes downwards than to the side I believe it is a lot harder on the eyes to read such loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong sentences to the side.
The facebook one didn't give a very good overview and this one is a bit hard to read, therefore I suggested something in between.

"Invader blood courses through my veins like radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me, do not ignore my veins!"

Btw I've turned off signatures so if I never comment on how awesome yours is - it is because I can't see it.
Kyle & Quetzalcoatl
Wyrm Trainer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 02:32:07 pm »

The reason I wanted to change the width was because I found the sentences very long to read. Since it is easier to move your eyes downwards than to the side I believe it is a lot harder on the eyes to read such loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong sentences to the side.
The facebook one didn't give a very good overview and this one is a bit hard to read, therefore I suggested something in between.

Nice!  I understand.  And I think I even agree with you!  *sigh*  Again...My life sucks!  ha ha ha  Might be a good idea.

Tesserex
Dragon World Creator
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 02:55:49 pm »

I may try this. I have a Firefox extension that will allow me to figure out where the CSS for the width is, and then I could change it.

Craig Schwartz - Pet Dragons developer / coder
Sara
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 02:59:16 pm »

I may try this. I have a Firefox extension that will allow me to figure out where the CSS for the width is, and then I could change it.

The bit I posted wasn't helpful? Sad

Tesserex
Dragon World Creator
Developer
Draconic Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 03:33:37 pm »

It is, I just sort of skimmed past it  Tongue

Craig Schwartz - Pet Dragons developer / coder
Sara
Draconic Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 03:46:06 pm »

It is, I just sort of skimmed past it  Tongue

That should teach you! ;P

tordana
Fledgling Caretaker

.Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 06:15:29 pm »

Though this is a bit late, yes it would have to be a global change.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: